Seal old screw holes

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by 72hdflh, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    What is the best way to repair the screw holes from an old transducer on an aluminum transom? I am replacing an old sonar unit and the old transducer will leave me with 4 holes, none of which can be reused with the new transducer.
    What is the difference between marine grade silicone sealant and regular clear silicone sealant?
    Thanks for any help

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought a 3"x 9"x 3/4" plastic transducer mounting plate at Gander Mtn. for mine. It mounts to the boat with 2 screws, and the transducers mount on the plastic plate with as many screws as you want. You could get one and mount it covering (or maybe even using one of the existing holes) and seal behind it with 3M 5200 Fast Cure Marine Sealant.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Take it to a reputable welding shop and have them repair it ,It will be like new and no leaks ..... EVER

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Like above I'd recommend the 3M 5200 Fast Cure or Slow Cure. It is THE BEST period. It's like handling white tar though.A mess for a guy like me that can walk by a caulking gun and get it all over me. I'd use a plate or put a nut and bolt with washers and the 3M sealant in each hole. It won't leak in our lifetime.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i agree take it to the welding shop and let them fool with it

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I have the same problem except another set of holes where the previous owner decided to screw a licence plate to the thing:roll_eyes:

I'm gonna use seamless gutter sealer.
    If I can find it there is one special kind we used to use thats silver and runny.
    It sticks and once on there it don't wanna come off.
    It is made to seal water tight and is impervious to weather.
    have a good one
    just

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    3M 5200 Fast Cure Marine Sealant!!!!!
    This is what the Carolina Skiff dealer recommends to seal small holes in all boats both alum and glass. They even use it to hold down the decks on these boats since they are just Screw and Glue

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I HATE holes in my hull below the water line. I don't make them if I don't have to. To attach my transducer (and my little baitwell supply pump) to the transom, I used the 5200 adhesive and glued a chunk of plastic (like "starboard") to the transom and then screwed into that.

You could glue a chunk over the existing holes, thus sealing them and giving yourself something to attach the new transducer to!

9. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I got so much JBWeld in my shop my boat is afraid to leak. and, my BOC name should have been (boatsinker)

10. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Thanks for all the info, I used marine grade silicone in the holes and put the old screws back in. If it gives me any problems, I'll probably have it welded.
    Thanks again for the info.