SeaArk V Cat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jmack, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    I am looking at a SeaArk 20' V Cat and have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer... The one I am looking at is a 2008 center consol model never been in the water with a 140 suzuki 4 stroke. Does anyone know what kind of speeds I would see with the 140? Also can anyone tell me how well they take the rough water? I do a lot of bay fishing as well as catfishing and crappie but the bays I fish get a good chop on them pretty often.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Josh I have no first hand experience with this boat setup but it sounds like a dream rig.

We have a few with that catfish rig, hopefully they can chime in.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. This boat gets some high reviews, I personally don't own one. Good luck on your search.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

4. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks guys for the info... It is a really nice rig and it seems to be priced right at 19,500... Does this seem like a good deal ?

Attached Files:

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Josh, I have a Vcat w/ a suzuki 150 4stroke. You will LOVE the ride. It is the smoothest jon boat I have ever seen. as for the 140 speed, I get about 52 MPH out of my 150. So I would guess you would get somewhere around 48. The price sounds pretty good too. You just cant go wrong with that rig.

WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!

6. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks Scott ! I really wish it were a side console rather than a center but 19,500 for a brand new rig seems pretty good. All the other new v cats i have looked at have been around 22,500.. Does yours have hydraulic steering ?

7. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the welcome guys !! Would like to hear more info on this rig or similar setup...

8. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL

I didn't realize it was BRAND NEW!! Yes, that is a very good deal. As for the power steering, I do not have that. However, that is my next addition. the cables are extremely stiff til you get er up on plane.

9. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    I thought it was but that is just what I gathered from looking around on line. The dealer is trying to get rid of their left over 08 models so they are cutting down on prices. He said they havent moved many boats this year so they are really cutting prices. I really like the 6 year warranty on the suzuki anand I hear they really sip the fuel..

10. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    My one concern is I live outside of Houston so I fish Galveston Bay a lot and it gets pretty rough. Just wondering how well the V cat will take 2'-3' chop and will stay dry in rough water??

11. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    JMack, I own a 20' V-cat with a 150 E-tec on it. I LOVE MY BOAT! It has pods on it and they cause a little drag so my top speed with a 17 pitch prop is 46. The boat cruises quite well around 35 MPH GPS with the motor turning 4K. I would expect your max be around 45 or so with that rig. I too live near Galveston / Trinity bay and have had my V-cat in 2-3 foot chop, I don't like it. It will get you wet if you get crossways to the waves. Despite the wet ride in very rough conditions, it is rock stable and handles the pounding very well. I often run on Lake Livingston and it handles the 1-2 foot rollers quite well. I've only had my boat for a few months but so far I've only been wet once. I have the Sea Star hydraulic steering, if you have the means then I highly recommend it. As far as the price for that rig, I think you should jump all over it, I have never seen one so reasonably priced. I feel like a got a really good deal on mine and paid considerably more, granted I did add every bell and whistle I could think of including a McClain tandem axle aluminum trailer. One other thing I should point out, my boat drafts deep. I have not jumped out and measured it but it takes around a foot of water to float it. With the boat on idling along I need at least 2' of water for the motor to clear. I didn't buy it run shallow so I'm not particularly worried about it can be a problem since I've already run it aground in the marsh twice. I'm new to boating and seem to be learning the hard way. No damage to the boat or motor so I'm very pleased thus far. Once again, I LOVE MY BOAT! you can't go wrong with a V-cat.

12. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Thank you so much for all the info. I have heard nothing but good things about the vcat and i think i will make the purchase. I live in Baytown on the east side of Houston in Chambers County. I am about 10 mins from Trinity Bay where I spend a lot of my time fishing but I also fish the Trinity River and Livingston. I think the boat would for the lake and river and it would work for the bay until i get it paid off then I will be purchasing a 22' bay boat.

13. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    I tried to PM you back but it said I couldnt till I had made 10 post.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    jmack, where you from? is that the boat dealer in Bastop???looks like his place, anyway there alot of seaarks on craigslist right now along w/some other alumacraft & tritons that are considerably cheaper, but that one seems to be priced right for a brand new one....good luck

15. prudog

prudog New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Let me put it to you like this... if that boat were a side console, I would have already drove down to LA and bought it myself. I saw that ad a week or two ago and was impressed with that price after many months of scouring.I took a test ride in a 15 degree SeaArk with Suzuki 140. The next week, put my flat-bottom SeaArk 2072 w/ Merc 115 2 stroke up for sale and have been boatless every since. I will get a SeaArk, v-hull, 20 footer, with a Suzuki 140. It was plenty of power and quiet as a church mouse. I guess there is the argument about working the Suzuki 150 less to achieve same speeds, but you spend $1500 more. YOU will likely spend $4-5k more if you pass on this one to look for 150 and will probably have to order.2-3 foot waves is a lot for any 20 footer.

PS: You WILL need hydraulic steering with that long shaft motor on that boat!!

16. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Well what i'm worried about nowis the trailer.. Its painted and not galvanized so i'm worried about rusting when launching in salt water...

17. prudog

prudog New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The ad says "galv. trailer" so what is up with that? Should I go and buy that boat so you can stop worrying about it? :wink: Still looking like a deal to me. Are you sure it is still available? I was quoted an upgrade to galvanized for less than $500, maybe $300.

2008 20' SeaArk V Cat Bay Boat w/140 Suzuki w/6 YEAR WARRANTY,.125(1/8)gauge aluminum all welded hull,93" beam,15 degree hull(smooth ride in rough water),12-14" draft,hydraulic steering,2 live wells,lots of storage,galv.trailer. $19,500.00 (plus tax)(This is a brand new rig)

18. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Yes it is still available but i actually found another one that is a good deal as well but doesnt have the galv trailer but it has a 150 suuki and a side console that I want for about the same price.

19. prudog

prudog New Member

State:
    Alabama
    These must be popular coastal boats if you have options at that kind of price. Dang, maybe you can find me a side console? ;) I am tempted by the new "Easy 200," but they did not give it a decent livewell. I am back on the fence again.

If I was you, and could get the 150 for the same money with the only difference being the trailer, that would be an easy choice for me. I would upgrade the trailer and get the big block motor. However, I have also prepared myself for an in-stock 140 if it comes along at a good price.

20. jmack

jmack New Member

State:
    texas
    Well the side console is 18,500 but it is used. Its a 1007 model but it has a lot of extras. I have to wait on my tax return before i pull the trigger so i guess if they arnt available by the time i get my return then it just wasnt ment to be.