SeaArk RiverCat Motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by buckdoe270, Jun 8, 2009.

1. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Buying a new boat. RiverCat 200 Custom, 20 ft, rated fo 140 hp
    what Motor do you suggest
    Yamaha
    Mercury Optimax
    Suzuki
    2 Stroke
    4 Stroke
    ?

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I would defenetely opt for a four stroke, and I would go with a Yamaha or Suzuki. I have a Yamaha 150 on my Ark, and I absolutely love it!!:wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    what ever dealer is closest to ya that has the longest warranty .

i have a suzuki 115 4 stroke i put on my 22 foot sea ark and love the 4 stroke alot !!!! ive had several 2 stroke motors on my other boats in several different brands and after having the easy starting and no problems at all with the 4 stroke i will never own a 2 stroke again .

ive had my suzuki for allmost 4 years now with zero problems . and i got a 6 year warranty with it when i bought it .

4. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    I'm leaning to a Suzuki 140 4 Stroke
    Still puzzle:confused2:
    Thanks

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would go with a Suzuki 140. Definately go 4 stroke regardless of what brand you choose. I have a Mercury 4 stroke and it has been great but they have a problem with a noisy driveshaft at idle speed in neutral so until they get that resolved I'm going to recommend Suzuki. It would be worth the extra cost of a bigger motor so you wont have to push it hard like you would with a smaller motor. Chris

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great advise from some of my friends!!! I have a 90 hp Yamaha four stroke on a 20ft Seaark and have not had any trouble at all. But I think the Suzuki four stroke is a little quieter and a little smoother. I also think all of the new outboards have come all long way in technology and are very dependable. Go four stroke and go for the max hp. rated for your Boat.
    You wont regret it!!!
    Good Luck!

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I wouldn't buy anything *but* a 4-stroke motor. Get one and I promise you'll never look back.

As for brands, I'd look at Suzuki first and Yamaha second. I've owned both and really like my Suzuki the best. But if there's no dealer close to you that sells and services Suzuki, I'd look at Yamaha. You may never need to get the motor worked on, but if you do, it's no fun driving 2 or 3 hours to find a dealer that can help.

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    4 STROKE all the way, it would be your choice on brand cause you may be limited to what dealers are in the area.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You'll find the Suzuki's are priced way lower than the Yamaha's. Both are GREAT MOTORS so why not go with the Suzuki. 6 year warranty on the Suzuki to boot, only 5 on the Yammy and it used to be 2 years on the Yammies. I bought my Yamaha 2 years ago this month and the warranty is OVER.:embarassed:

I bought a 2 stroke.....trust me, get the 4 stroke. The money you'll save on fuel and 2 cycle oil will save you money in the long run. Not to mention you can hardly hear those Suzuki's running because they are sooooooo quiet.

I STILL kick myself in the arse for going 2 stroke, just didn't know better at the time.

Also.....get the max hp your hull is rated for. If you don't you'll just wish you did later. Ask me how I know that one too.:wink:

10. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Thanks for the great advise.
    I'm going for 4 stroke Suzuki 140 Hp:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    GET A HONDA!!!! They are more expensive but commercial fishermen don't use them for no reason and they use them more than any recreational fisherman does and they use them harder. You see some Suzuki motors and some Yamaha motors but almost all use Honda motors and plus they are a lot lighter than other 4 strokes which means better performance and more capacity in your boat for other stuff.

Also, never ever ever get a Merc for any reason. They suck bad.

12. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    suzuki 140 trust me im a marine mechanic and they are very good motors.:wink:

13. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Suzuki first choice yamaha second:wink:

14. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have a 100 hp Suzuki 4 stroke and love this motor. It is the best on gas, as I am sure the rest of the bigger suzuki 4 strokes are too.

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Everywhere here on the chesapeake bay you see yamahas more than any other motor. Probably a 4 to 1 ratio, that is, 4 yamahas to 1 motor of any other brand. They are everywhere. That says something to me. If someone likes a product, they tell 10 people. If someone dislikes a product, they tell 1000 people. This is true of any consumer product.

The 4 stroke or 2 stroke thing can be debated (and has been extensively). I like 2 strokes personally, for their simplicity, lighter weight, and cheaper initial cost. All motors will eventually need work, and the 2 stroke will always be cheaper to have repaired (because of that simplicity part). With that said, there is nothing wrong with 4 strokes if that's your thing.