Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank! Was hoping someone with a 36v system would speak up with any modifications they did. The 200 is rigged for a 24v system. It has 6 gauge wires to the back of the boat and breaker for 24v system. Did that breaker have to be replaced? Where did you stick 3rd battery? Did you have to update the front plug?

Only reason I ask is because everyone and their mother say go with something over 100 pounds thrust on this very forum. That requires a 36v system (3 batteries).

·
Registered
Mark from Bartlesville OK
1,709 Posts
Going to buy the same boat Saturday. May use my 36 volt trolling motor.

Breaker will have a voltage and current rating, but the current requirements should be about the same. My guess is breaker will be good.

I will have to look Saturday about battery layout.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! I know the 240's have room for 4 batteries in the back (two on each side). The 200 is a little smaller and if they place a fuel filter on one side like they did mine its impossible to put two on that side. One will have to squeeze into the middle of the back area.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Very nice, I wrestled with myself for months trying to decide between Procat 200 and Sportsman 200, finally settled on the Sportsman but the Procat was just better finished with better storage, where I have a rod rack the Porcats I looked at had a locker, the seats seemed to be a little better quality also. I am satisfied with my Sportsman and it was a bit less expensive but you have a very fine boat. Can't help with the trolling motor inquiry though, sorry.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thank! Was hoping someone with a 36v system would speak up with any modifications they did. The 200 is rigged for a 24v system. It has 6 gauge wires to the back of the boat and breaker for 24v system. Did that breaker have to be replaced? Where did you stick 3rd battery? Did you have to update the front plug?

Only reason I ask is because everyone and their mother say go with something over 100 pounds thrust on this very forum. That requires a 36v system (3 batteries).
I believe that as you go up in voltage your ampres go down. Like in ac voltage if you have a multi voltage motor say 120 volts and 220 volts the motor will pull less amps than the 120 so if anything I would think of you change the breaker you may actually need to go down in amp rating that way if something goes wrong the motor won’t over amp and ruin itself with a breaker too strong. Your trolling motor should give you the specs you need to size accordingly. Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
Best answer, Call the trolling motor company and ask a tech. That would get you the best answer.

And yes if you double the voltage you cut the amperage in half.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Minn Kota circuit breaker thats in the boat is actually rated for 12, 24 and 36v. The internal wires actually look like 4 gauge wires! They are huge! I did run into a new problem. You can't mount an onboard charger easily with a 3rd battery mounted in the back. I was only able to hold it down with one screw (charger). Very tight space back there!

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,343 Posts
Bill,
Although they say to keep the wires between the on board charger and the batteries as short as possible, with batteries up front and at the back, something has to to be longer.
You can mount the charger anywhere; it doesn’t care. I went for the driest place where I could mount it sturdily so mine is under the dash in the driver console.

...W

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you use a wire that is too small, you end up risking a short circuit. While a circuit breaker will be easy to reset when it trips, having to stop often for such an avoidable thing can be disruptive to what should be a nice day out for boating.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you use a wire that is too small, you end up risking a short circuit. While a circuit breaker will be easy to reset when it trips, having to stop often for such an avoidable thing can be disruptive to what should be a nice day out for boating.
Yep. Thankfully that boat had one rated up to 36v. My initial question was arrangement of the batteries and charger in such a tiny compartment. Everything on that boat was tiny. Like it was designed by Bass fishermen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts