Sea King 35HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Snobal, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Anyone tell me how hard it would be to change a crankshaft? I have a 1970 Wards Sea King 35HP. It ran great till the crank snapped 2 years ago and sent the flywheel into the boat with me :eek: . Thanks for any info!!

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sounds like its FUBAR.Old motor=hard to get parts.
    Could be a lot more damage,why did the shaft break?
    Since you asked how hard it is,I will assume you have never done it before,so I would say yes,its hard.
    Sounds like its time to buy another motor.

I'm no expert,but I did drive by a holiday inn express yesterday. ;)

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cook, I couldn't have said it better. There should be more Holiday Inn Expreses in this world. That's how I got my start after joining the BOC :p

Joe, yeah it's a major problem, even if you could afford to do it.

The cost alone would make a big down payment on a new engine.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Snobal I have a link where you most likely can get that old of a parts but as was stated in the other two post it is tedious work and the cost would floor you.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Weren't the Sea King motors made by Chrysler? They look similar. Might look for a same model motor that has cratered and take the part from it.

6. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Well, I found out that the 55hp Sea King in my dad's garage will supply me with the parts I need. One cost factor out of the way. Now for the job of tearing down and rebuilding. Priced it at the marine shop I deal with and they wanted $800 plus any misc. parts that might need purchased (gaskets, etc.). Since finding this out, I've been debating what to do. The decision was made earlier this week. Found a 1989 Evinrude 28SP for a really good price and I am now in the process of getting it rigged up on the boat.

Still thinking of changing the crankshaft in the old 35 for a winter project (maybe next year) and to have a back up motor. The Sea King was made by Chrysler. Can anyone tell me if the repair manual for the Chrysler outboards will cover the Sea Kings also? I don't see why it wouldn't but thought maybe someone would know for sure. Thanks!

7. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    I got a 72 Sea King , 55hp and have been using a chrysler manual there are a few minor differences, but they are about the same