sea gulls

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by South Grand Laker, Feb 12, 2009.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Does anybody know how far your lake gulls capable of diving down into the water to get their shad? i figured maybe around 10ft deep tops, i know that the comorants are capable of going alot deeper but wondering about the gulls

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm around gulls a lot and never saw one actually dive below the surface. See them pick shad and fish from the surface and slightly below but never actually dive down.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Same here...never seen them dive just picking them off the surface.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hmm well i normall don't see them or a whole bunch of them bombing down, but however the other day i was watching a few out of a group that would definately bust through the surface and going down to get shad, just wasn't sure how deep they were going, figured not to deep but none the less they were, but i'm talking large schools of thousands when youi can right in with them and throw a net while there above and around you

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I see large flocks of gulls harassing water turkeys on the water... it seems that the water turkey can dive and actually "fly" through the water to a depth of 40 feet to catch shad... but they can't swallow it until they surface and flip the shad around head first and swallow it.

The fun part is when the water turkey surfaces with a shad flopping in it's beak. The closest gulls will try to steal the shad from the turkey, then they fight among themselves until one lucky bird swallows the mangled shad.

The poor water turkey that has expended great amounts of energy and skill to catch that morsel has to do it all over again.

It doesn't take long before you begin to root for the water turkey! :crazy:

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I have read the the Comarant could go 30-40 feet. I did a search and did not find anything about how deep seagulls dive. I agree with Albert I see the seagulls take shad away from the diving water turkeys and commorants.