sea foam

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigBB, Mar 14, 2008.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    hey Bubba,
    i took the boat out for the first time this year the other day. Put the recommended amount of sea foam in the gas.. well on the heavy side as it said to use more if you wanted more cleaning etc. boy the outboard would run great for a bit and then start to bog down.. if i stopped and let it idle for a minute or two would run great again for a bit then bog down. Is this just the carbon working out of the motor?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I was a bettin man Id say you knocking the cobs out of her !:wink:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    gotta love that sea foam. after reading here about it, found some in the store and started using a can about every 3rd tank. (i have a 18gl tank) my old johnson 40 has never ran better. i can't afford to buy the high test gas, so use the cheaper stuff. that little outboard normally almost purrs now. if it starts to spit a little, i just add more and it straightns right out.
    i'd bet your cleaning the snot out of your motor from the sound of it.
    gary

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    sea foam will break all the gunk loose in the tank and carbs,take it out again and run 3/4 and try to burn your old gas out .the fresh gas and oil should fiw you up .

5. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    thanks for the reply's guys.. i was pretty confident thats what was happening.. but good to have agreement.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Every time I winterize my boat I use SEA FOAM. When first starting the motor in the spring the motor does spit and sputter a bit and then purrs like a kitten. Like the rest of the posts mention. The SEA FOAM is just cleaning the carbon and moisture out.

7. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i assume that it would be a good idea to change out the plugs once i run through this tank with the sea foam in it?

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You could change the plugs, Just pull one out and check it for heavy carbon deposits. I never had an issue with fouled plugs when using SEA FOAM.:big_smile:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys if you can afford it put a fresh set of plugs in every spring. You might have to run more seafoam through it to get it all cleaned out. It sounds like it not letting enough fueel throug the pump to supply the carbs. Check all the fuel lins for leaks and make sure those lines are in good shape. I ain't talking well they look good I mean take them out and look inside for small bits of rubber coming loose in them. I replace all my fuel lines from the tank all the way to the carbs every two years. Pull the pick up tube out of the tank and have a good look at it. You would be surprised at how many of those that go bad.

Oh BTW Tofish yopu would be wasting your money to burn high octane fuel in that two stroke.

10. WTL

WTL New Member

State:
    alabama
    You definitly wanna check the plugs after using seafoam. Its just common sense, you clean up some of those deposits, break others lose - and its gotta go somewhere, normally the plugs, although sometimes you just burn it up. But it will smoke like crazy, thats how you know its working. Actually the most weirded out I've ever been while using seafoam was when I couldnt get it to smoke...haha. Just not using enough!

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Been using sea foam for awhile now...It's a product that work's....

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been using Sea foam for years, and I just treated the wifes caddie today. We took her Dad to the St. Louis airport today, and the car was getting about 21/22 mpg at 70 mph, all the way down. I filled up in Troy, and added the Seafoam to the gas and the oil. We gain 2 1/2 mpg on the trip home. I like to add it to the oil, it cleans all of those pesky sensors, and then no more service engine light. Have a good day. Later Andy

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    man do you think that seafoam would work in a 95 jeep wrangler i love my big blue jeep

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It will work in that jeep.

15. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    well we finally were able to get the boat back out.. and after running her for 3 days... still having the same problem. Put fresh plugs in checked the fuel lines.. got a new gas can, fresh gas etc.... still bogs down after she runs for a bit.. then will only run at a rough idle speed etc.. she never dies just will bog down if you give her too much gas... bubba what do you think? Carbs need to be rebuilt?

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Bubba can give you a better answer or correct me on mine, but sounds like you have a filter or orfice getting plugged with some type of trash. I went through the same thing with Willard there first hand and we found a lot of trash in the carb bowl. cleaned all the screens, replaced the hoses, and flushed out the carb bowl. What you need may be different, but this was just what the doctor (Willard) ordered for my motor.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like the carbs are going to have to be cleaned and rebuilt. What kind of motor are we looking at here.

18. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    it is an 84 40hp mariner... okay.. well thanks for confirming that this is probably what needs to be done.. we just bought the motor last year and the guy said it had sat for several years... only thing we have done is change out the impeller, lower unit oil etc... so looks like its time to learn how to rebuild carbs.. or have someone do it for us... what is an approximate cost to have this done?

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Any time one sets for very long and wasn't drained correctly the carbs are going to have to be removed and soaked and rebuilt.
    You can do this yourself or you can take it to be done. The kits online will proably cost you about 25 to 35 for each carb. Now what a marinea charges for the labor and the kits I don't know.