Sea catfish challenge & vs channels

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Well recently Dan Yoder "seacatfish" has introduced me to a new and wonderful taste of Seacatfish. He was kind enough to send me a batch of Gaffstopsail, and Hardhead catfish. I also used Channel catfish to do a write up for Dan in my appreciation. The fish was frozen for the journey north all the way to illinois and arrived 3/4 frozen and in fine shape.

I took the fillets when they arrived and placed them back to the freezor to keep untill i was ready for the challenge. I selected a friend of mine that stops in once a week or two to have a beer on his day off. He was my best choice because he always enjoys my Squirrel, Deer, and fish I cook every now and then for holidays or UFC fights ect... Bob agreed and looked at the clock and said when are we gonna start. I said well lets pick a day next week to set it up. It was 11pm lol.

Ok so here it is. First i wanted to prepare the fish in a few different ways to fully appreciate and judge the flavors. Also didnt want to overpower them with hot seasonings. So i selected simple recipies to cook them. I took foil and placed a couple fillets of each channel, hardhead, and sailcats on foil and gave them a dusting of lemon pepper and lemon juice and covered foil and baked. Then I also wanted to smoke them. I placed a few fillets of each on foil and gave a light shake of a lemon blackened seasoning and lemon juice and smoked on my Brinkman smoker untill darkened and firm. They were,,, well lets wait,lol. And finally we selected cajun andys breading and fried some in fresh oil.

Ok. Now the results. First we tasted the baked. We tried al three first before making judgments. Bob had no idea what he ate till we were completely done and judging was finished. I did so its remarkable how close the results were.

Baked// These results are as follows. TEXTURE- 1 being mushy and 10 being tough as leather. FISHY TASTE- 1 being none 10 being so fishy its not good.

sailcat. Bob said it had a salmon or kind of a sardiene taste. after fully testing all three here were results.

on texture of sail
    Bob gave sail a 5 being almost perfect
    I gave sail a 5 being almost perfect

on fishiness
    Bob gave it a 6
    I gave it a 4

so we were very close

Hardhead baked texture
    Bob gave it a 6 being firmer than sail but good solid texture.
    I gave it a 6

We were the same on this. Keep in mind he didnt know what fish he ate nor what my answer was till all was done.

On Fish taste
    Bob gave HH 5
    I gave it a 3 and thought it had a slight resemblance to talipia. it was very good.

On channelcats texture
    Bob gave it 3
    I gave it a 4

close again and much softer.

Fishiness
    Bob was 6
    I was 7 much fishier and not nearly as good as the others. to me knowing it was obvious. Bob guessed the HH was channel. I didnt tell him till we were done.

Then the smoked.

Sail texture.
    Bob 4
    I gave it 5

close again and very firm and good texture.

Fishiness
    Bob 5
    Me 3

pretty close and not very fishy at all. Very good flavor and i reccomend if ya havent smoked it TRY IT!

Hardhead texture smoked.

Bob 6
    Me 7

close. these fillets were small and a bit thinner so that may have contributed to the slightly firmer texture. very good as well.

Fishiness.
    Bob 4
    Me 2

very good flavor in this fish as well.

Channel smoked texture

Bob 3
    Me 3

much softer.

fishy
    Bob 6
    Me 6
    Same again and much fishier than the seacats.

Fried.
    Sail texture
    Bob 5
    Me6

Fishy
    Bob 6
    Me 4

Hardhead fried texture
    Bob 6
    Me 6

fishy
    Bob 5
    Me 3

Fried channel texture.

Bob 4
    Me 3

Fishy
    Bob 6
    Me 7

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Well in the end we both decided that the Sea cats were better and much less fishy tasting than the Kankakee river channels. Bob was real supprized that He had thought that Hardhead was our cats,lol.

All in all the sail was the best of the three with HH running a very close 2nd.

my cousin showed up as we had just finished and tried the 3 fried. He selected sail as #1 from those.

here is a few more pics of the fish.

Thanks again Dan and soon i will return the favor with some farm raised meat from illinois.:wink:

3. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jeremy,
    Sure appreciate you taking the time to tell the BOC about the results of your taste test. It's kinda late tonight and I need to get up very early to go grouper fishing. I'll respond more on Saturday, when I get back. Hopefully, some folks can see your results and we can have some discussions.

My grateful appreciation,
    Dan

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Made me hungry. :big_smile:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep sure was. neat to eat different kinds. especially within a week or so of being caught. now i may have to move to florida lol. :big_smile:

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the post that looks like some good stuff

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dangit Jeremy...you done gone and made me HONGRY! If them fish tased half as good as they look, they musta been yummy. No seacats near me to eat. Guess I'll just have to eat flatheads and bluecats. :wink:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in the pic at top first post of the baked fish they are as follows. top left two fillets were sailcat. the bigger to right were channels from the river in illinois. the bottom smaller were the hardhead.

the second smoked were. top there is one small one. we were eating the others lol. hardhead. middle large fillets were channel and bottom toward left 3 were sail.

fried. the two big under the fryer handle were channels and the other plate was hard head and sail. sail two to the top HH was smaller at the lower.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a good review,Jeremy. Now I am fish hungry :big_smile:

10. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I`m just tickled pink that we had this opportunity, with a very reputable BOC Chef, to show all the membership what a wonderful eating fish the seacatfishes are. They are abundant in the salt water from New Jersey to Mexico, and my goal has been to PUT THE EATING BACK IN FAMILY FISHING.

We are well on the way, through the widespread membership of the mighty BOC and the fine job done by Jeremy.

THANK YOU!:wink::big_smile::big_smile:

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jeremy, thanks for posting this. Last September we went with some friends to Grand Isle, Louisiana for a week. We caught a few sailcats, but kept hearing conflicting reports about eating them. We finally decided one night, while we were frying up some fresh croaker, to try them. It was really good! In fact, we couldn't tell it from any of our local water blue cats. It's a shame we threw back so many before we finally tried it. We'll sure know better next time. I think, as with so many other types of foods, you've got to be willing to try something to see if you like it or not!

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sea Catfish, thats new to me. Great review.

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Funny thing is, most people think Sailcats are not good to eat. When I was a young 1 striper in the Air Force in Mississippi, sailcats furnished my wife and I many, many meals that would have been meatless otherwise. $91 a month didn't go very far... Thanks Mr. Catfish

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I lived in Brevard County FL for about a year when I was 12 and I couldnt count the number of sailcats I have eaten.I always like to fillet em out and blacken them the meat stays firm so it works realy well.

15. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We go down to Panama City beach in the summer. First time out surf fishing at night I though, All right I am going to catch a ray or a shark. Nothing but those saltwater catfish. You couldn't be in the water more than 10 min. and you'd have one.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yes. the texture was firm. i still have a bag of these and 1/2 the H/H that he sent me. so there will be more pics when i cook the rest. there were really good. there was no comparison the the soft (mushy compared to these) river channels from here.

i hope he likes the rabbits as much.:wink:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i was a kid we moved to victoria texas so my dad could work.we lived 28 miles from the ocean.i have eaten many a drum,gaftop,crocker,and sheephead.all were good but i never ate any hard heads,we called them turd rustlers,cause i beleived the local and figured they tasted bad.i never ate any mullet either but now i see where they eat heck out of them in florida.