Sea Cast for Transom ?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by NCBASSIN, Feb 3, 2006.

1. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would like to know if anyone has tried this sea cast for their transom and how well it holds up ? I am tryin to replace a transom in an older Ranger and already have the old one out ........and lemme tell ya that is a job !!!!!!!!!! Any input on this would be appreciated . DANNY

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I've seen it and it and it looks real good. I plan on using it myself on my center console.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have heard nothing but good things about seacast! I am pretty sure it has saved alot of boats from the boneyard!

4. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Keith and phillip.....i have talked to only 2 people about it and i knew i could get more input here about it because you guys are not the ones insalling or selling it ........LOL thanks again ............Danny

5. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well i got the sea cast in .....will know soon how good it is !!!!!!

6. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    The only concerns I have with Seacast is if you have a fair amount of rot in there and you can't get it out, you're only bonding to rotten parts, unlike a full on fix done right. I looked at Seacast, but opted to reglass my transom and replace the plywood core. I'm sure it may work for a while, but I can't get past the rebonding of rotten components. If there's rot, there's water, and that won't get the water out. It's kinda like a band-aid on a knife wound.

7. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If i was gonna leave any rotten wood i would have never tried it neither . It clearly states to remove ALL wood even the wood that is not rotten. It took a lot of time but thats what we did when we were done digging the wood out all that was left was the inner and outer shell . and when i say it took a lot of time i mean a LOT of time like 4 days for 2 of us to get it out . then we sanded the inside of the inner and outer shell with a 1X2 with 80 grit sand paper to get any that was left sticking to it . Anyway it is poured and it seems to be pretty tough . I dont know how long it will last i guess time will tell . I didnt want to put a bandaid on it is the reason i decided to use the sea cast as it is an older boat and they do take on some water and i think this will last much longer than wood if exposed to water . JMO

8. Johnnyelcamino

Johnnyelcamino New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey, I installed seacast in a 15 foot bass boat, boat is small and has an 85hp evinrude, older heavy model. Stuff works well, even installed in the stringers, just make sure you get as much of the rot out as possible, and also make sure you got solid inner and outer skins, I had to add some glass to the inner skin. Stuff sets up real hot as it cures so make sure and use good tape over any holes that you may have left in the glass. Also use a powerful drill to mix the composite and glass mixture, I burned up a half inch drill in 5 minutes. Its easy to use, sands down nice, and drills easy. Oh also dont use any epoxy resins on the skin, just use the cheap stuff and it will do the trick, the seacast reacts porrly to epoxy resins....

Johnnyelcamino

9. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Johnny , I have finished putting in the Seacast and have the 200 mercury mounted back on but havnt had it back in the water yet. It sure does seem strong though. went ahead and did some other things to the boat while we had it down and gonna try to finish up soon . Ordered a shifting cable for it and will probably try it out soon . Thanks for the reply ........Danny