Sea Ark

Discussion in 'Boating' started by shingman6, Jan 24, 2008.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I went out and saw a sea ark today but i was just thinking how to put a rod holder base on it .The top of the rail is double railed and the salesman told me to have it welded on. I don,t want to weld a brand new boat before I get into the water. Any ideas?

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    hit up bigdav he does pretty good with that kinda stuff

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i use the 1/2 inch drift masters the bases you just use screws to hold them on the top rail .(catfish safari . com) sells them pull up there shop web site and you can see them. shop.catfishsafari.com

4. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    wait till next week, i just got back from paduah ky. the boat show starts tomro. steve brown from catfish safari is showing his new boat. this is three yrs in the makeing, he has worked with sea-ark & came up with one awsome catfish boat. it is unreal, i know the pics. will be up by the end of the week end. you can see how he mounted his rod holders, anyone that wants to see one awsome catfish boat needs to get to the boat show,

5. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo
    I have a seaark and what i did was use seat bases outside of the livewell. that way i can take it in and out. if you use alum you have to take a pedestal apart i think it fit in 2" tubing.that way you can mount any rod holders on top you want

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't know what kind of rod holders ya got, maybe ya got to modify them and then use some U bolts to put them on the rail. I"m not familiar with it, but hope this helps or gives ya some ideas

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Welding Driftmaster bases onto the gunwale isn't a bad idea, at all. They're small, and unobtrusive.

I've screwed mine into the gunwale on my SeaArk, and constantly have to tighten the screws. One day, I'll come to my senses, and have them welded.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    FOLKS! NO WELDING REQUIRED!

Was going to write a small article up about this one of these days. I had the same problem as others with screws stripping, loosening etc. and also did not want to weld the bases on my gunwales either.

My race car fabrication buddy told me about these nut-inserts. They are Aluminum, mount flush, and are rock-solid strong! I used the 5/16-18 nut-inserts and it feels like you could turn the boat over before these suckers would budge. Nice, clean, finished look when installed (well, they are covered up when you mount the bases on them anyway).

Another note: They come in all Machine screw sizes, and up to 3/8 I think. They are available at Grainger (and other places)and the ones I used are less than $1.00 a piece.

Simple, clean, strong and no hassle. Pick the appropriate size and mount depth finders, antennas, etc..... and you don't have crappy looking holes left over if you later remove the gear!:wink:

Can you tell I love these things?:big_smile:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    All of my rod holders are screwed into the gunwales of my SeaArk. They are holding very nicely, and have never loosened up, but of course I did this before Skipeyes nice find :wink:

10. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Skipeye- Got a link to these where I can see what they look like?

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have screwed driftmaster bases on the rails ,cant wait to see picts of new boat !!!

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Try here to see one of them:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5JL35

Use the Aluminum ones. Also there is a tool to install these but I did not buy it. I just bought the Mandrel and nose piece and did it manually with a nut to draw up the rod to squezze/press it in place. For sizes smaller than 5/16 the tool only costs around $55.00 and is worth it. The larger tool for 5/16 and up is $110.00 or so, wasn't worth it to me. Regardless the tool is not required, just handy if you will use it a lot. Note: May have to modify mandrel to use manually (I just removed the draw stud and put a longer stud in the mandrel so I could get a nut on it).

I really need to write up the article to show how slick the finished job is, this catalog shot does not do these justice. Professional look when done, wish I would have known about these when I first bought my boat. May have to back-track and redo some things!

Guess I should add that the bottom part separates from the top and is pulled into the top sleeve, expanding the upper part and gripping rock solid into place, this puppy won't move.

13. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Skipeye, What if you used the 3/8 insert instead of using the base and tread the 3/8 driftmaster into the insert ? is that doable ?

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I would imagine you could but I feel 10 times better having TWO anchor points holding down the thick Aluminum base, as opposed to one nut insert all alone. You have to realize that the shoulder of these nut inserts are very minimal so I wouldn't trust a ton of lateral force on them. Easy enough to find out I guess but we'll try it with one of your poles in it ok?:smile2: Personally I would not feel secure doing that but I tend to favor over-kill.

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Very good idea and suggestion Skip.:cool2:
    I haven't used them for rod holders but I have used them for a lot of things.
    I used these to mount seat bases in the boat I am working on now and they are solid. i have used them in my tracker as well for the same purpose and if they hold my big butt they are going to hold your rods. I out weigh the world record by just a few pounds.:smile2: They are several names for them, threadserts, nutserts, rivet nuts, rivnuts, and possibly a few more i just cant think of right now. There is also a special tool designed to correctly rivet them in place. The smaller ones like mine look like a small hand rivet gun. The different names are often used for the same thing but they are actually some difference in them.
    Like Skip said it is a very good way to mount something that you cannot access the back side of. I first found these in 1999 when I purchased a factory wind deflector for the back glass of a 4-Runner that we just had purchased. It came with these type of fasteners and it took some thought to figure out what the heck they were.:confused2: Did not know they made a tool for them at the time, so I compressed them with a bolt, washer, nut and a couple of wrenches. that worked fine for the smaller ones but the larger ones came be tough to do that way. Most body shops have one of the tools that you might be able to "rent" "borrow" for a few minutes in the parking lot of the shop. I have done that int he past after I asked them if it was possible.:big_smile:
    Here is a picture of the tool and some of the threadserts. The first one is of a few of the different types, the second is of the type I used for my seat bases and I will also use them to mount cleats on the gunnal of this boat. The last one is of the tool I was talking about.

These little trinkets and Skips information would make a good post for the library. At least if the powers that be think so.

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the Pics Dave. I have been planning on writing up an article for some time but just haven't gotten to it yet. I think these would help a lot of folks in mounting anything from everyday items to oddball items, especially when there is no underneath access!

And yeah, I am going to go ahead and buy the tool for the smaller ones, 1/4" and below, in the near future. Not ready to spring $100.00++ on the bigger tool yet!:crazy: But if I know me I will soon enough buy the big one too!:dribble:

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Tools can be a whole different addiction. I suffered from that one for years.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    The article would be very useful to help other when it comes to something like this. Might even make a good topic to start a new thread on so we don't hijack this thread any more than we have. :smile2::eek:oooh: Ooooooops, I might should have though about that a few post ago. Sorry!:embarassed::0a19::big_smile:

Thanks
    David

18. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    For you guys looking at nutserts/rivet nut/threaded rivet I found a cheaper tool installation.

I bought one of these THESE (rivet nut tool)
    last summer and it's a much cheaper way to install nutserts than the $50-150 tools they often recomend. All you need is a drill with the proper sized socket.

19. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think welding the bases on would be better then drilling holes in the rail, I have 7 bases welded evenly spaced on each side of my 24' SeaArk for sideways drift fishing on lakes and 4 more bases mounted across the back seat for fishing 6 rods out the back in river current.

20. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like Dave pretty much summed it up they should be welded.