Sea Ark bow step storage box. Anyone have one in there Sea Ark?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Big Dav, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I was looking though a Sea Ark brochure I had and in the back under the accessories I found a bow step. My question is do any of you that have a Sea Ark have this box step in your boat?
    I was going to have something like this made for my boat but I also wanted to use it for storage. Adding a lid to a step for some reason makes it very expensive to have one custom made. Added over $200 to the price.:crazy::angry:
    I had given up on the idea of having a step up for my front deck and got to thinking I had seen one somewhere before. That is what got me to looking through old brochures.
    If anyone has one of the steps would it be possible to get some measurement from it? Width, length, and most importantly height? I don't really want or need the step for myself but it sure would be useful for my wife and two little ones. :tounge_out:
    If anyone has the step, do you remember how much it was as on option?
    Also any suggestion on a dealer that I might be able to order just the step from?:cool2:
    Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to help.
    David

2. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz has one on his Big Daddy and it's a must have. No idea what it cost him.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't have the Bow Step Storage Box on my SeaArk. While a little bit of extra storage might be nice I'm not too sure I would like it.

Yes it would be slightly easier to step onto the bow deck but it isn't a stretch to do that either.

While I already have a ton of floorspace that thing would eat up some of the valuable real estate also, every little bit counts.

Another trip hazard if you fish in the dark (or have kids blasting around the boat not paying attention)!

Another negative for me at least, I spend a lot of my time setting right there on the bow deck watching the rods on the back. The heighth is pretty comfy. Add a step and your legs will be all bunched up.

Thats jusy my opinion and i can see where it would be useful and all but not for my style of fishing.

One other thing, not so sure that thing is dry storage either, doesn't look like it. The other bow lockers aren't for sure,, had to drill holes in the bottom to drain the water out. But that where i stow my anchor etc. anyway.

To those joining in, here is a shot of SeaArks version:

Attached Files:

4. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    I was optimistic about getting the step, but my buddy said it was a must have. I'm sure glad we did. Its a perfect place to store our weights and cast nets. Plus it makes it easier to step down at night. Once it stops snowing I will clear it off and take some measurements for you. I'm not sure how much the option was, but any Seaark dealer should be able to order it for you, and they will price it over the phone.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Andrew, now you have me wondering if I should try the thing out.:roll_eyes:

You really like it huh?

Is it dry or does it leak like the bow deck lockers?

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    To anyone that might be interested I just checked the pricing at a SeaArk dealer. It will run around $250.00, not sure if you have to pay shipping on top of that if it is sent to the dealer for pick up.

That doesn't sound bad. Now I am wondering myself if I want one.

Thanks Dave and Andrew for all the money you have potentially cost me. LMAO!!!:smile2::wink:

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies.:big_smile:
    That price is a lot better than what I was quoted to have something similar custom built. I could use the extra storage more than the floor space it would take up. Plus it would help my kids get up and down on the front deck. They both have to crawl on and off it right now. It is also a pretty high step for my wife. The high step up doesn't bother me, I am tall enough at 6'4" that it is not a big deal for my long legs.:smile2:
    When the snow clears measurements would be great. I have a large access hole that I am hoping it will cover. If not I need to make the necessary changes to the hole now, before I apply the rubberized floor coating.:big_smile:

Thanks again,
    David

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dave,
    Would an aluminum bolt in hatch cover make your step project any cheaper if you had one fabbed up? The ones I used from Cabelas are pretty nice, stout enough to walk on, and could be fitted with a latch if needed. They were $65.99 each for the large, 12.75"wide x 30"long outside frame. Made from 1/8" aluminum, full lenth hinge, primed and ready for paint. Page 106 in the "07" spring master catalog, edition 1. They are also on their website. There are a couple of pics on my boat mod journal of them, back around May of "07". Hope this helps. Later. Barry

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Barry,
    I would Rep you but I need to spread the love around before the system will let me again.:smile2: I may be able to use one of the 10.25" x 14" aluminum hatches to do what i want. I need to check with the welder that did my live well and bait tank welding to see what he would charge me. The place I checked on Thursday wanted around $200 for just the step with no lid. They said it would probably double the price to add the lid. :crazy: That is why I am still looking for a different alternative.:smile2:

Thanks again,
    David

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I value the space too much for it. My 2072's front box is not dry, however, my 7' rod locker is. I have vertical rod lockers installed on the rod locker and the side console and use that locker for dry storage. Just a thought. I do love that boat!

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the info about the rod lockers. I may add some in my boat at a later time.
    What are you calling vertical rod lockers? I have four of the vertical rod storage racks that I am going to add to the sides of my center console for rod storage while in the boat. I would like to have lockable storage for my rods. I have a Crew Cab 1500 GMC with the stupid short bed. I have a fiber glass cover on the bed for security. I have to carefully place 7 ft rods from opposing corners to even get them in the truck bed. Anything longer won't fit. That is where lockable rod lockers would be great. It just cost a small fortune to get aluminum welded around here. :angry::sad2: I am still getting over the large investment I have in my live well and bait tank.:crazy:

Thanks again,
    David

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sorry for the typo. I use vertical rod HOLDERS. They are the 5 tube deals that Cabela's sells. Those are for a day or night on the river. The 7 foot lockers are approx. 12 x 12 x 7 feet (I'll look a little closer today) They easily hold 5-7 7 foot rods with a myriad of big spinning, and abu 7000 and 9000. I use the locker as dry storage on an outing and lockable storage when I am gone.

If I can find some pics I'll post them for you.

13. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2362&c=member&imageuser=121

Not a great pic, but you get an idea.... also you can see where I value floor space. You would be amazed at what I bungee cord to my Driftmasters. Boxes don't give me that kind of freedom. I'd rather carry an small foldable step than put in a box that holds water.

Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your boat as much as I have enjoyed mine... Now if I could just figure out that leak... Brand new boat and it leaks. I think it has something to do with the bilge or aerator intake.... I have it in the water for vacation and when I got there yesterday, they had put an auto bilge in it.... I suppose I better lift the floor and take a look.... also may look into an auto bilge myself.

14. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've got a 20 ft River Cat and I would not want to give up that room. I put in another livewell from the front of my baitwell all the way up to gas tank. I used a Delta Packer 75, which is 53" long and it just barely fit. It works great though. I can keep about 300 lbs of fish alive. I got the 40 gal in the back instead of the 60 gal. It gave me more room and it is 72" long so I can fit a world record in it with no problem. I also put 2 sets of Berkley rod holders along each inboard side of the boat so I can store 8 big rods up to 9 ft each. I would take some pics and post but I have not replied enough on this site.:eek:oooh:

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I would love to see pictures of what you have. Post, Post, Post.:smile2: Welcome to the BOC, I sent you some rep point and my email address.
    Thanks
    David