Sea Ark Big Daddy and 225 Suzuki

Discussion in 'Boating' started by SeaArk1, Oct 5, 2007.

1. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    Was wondering all of you that have the Big Daddy with the 225 Suzuki. What size prop and pitch you are running and what mph you are getting.

Thanks!!

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    And how many yards per GALLON are you getting?:smile2::smile2::smile2:

3. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    if he is runnin a Suzuki its a bunch, they just dont like gas!

4. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    I am getting pretty good fuel mileage but I am blowing out the prop on top end....only getting 49 mph out of it. Got prop sent off and they balanced and added 1 1/2 degree and it helped it 2 mph. Some of my buddies were talking to some guys at the last catfish tourn. and some of the guys were getting up to 60 mph out of theirs. But wouldnt you know it buddies had too many cold ones on the way home and forgot the prop numbers. :confused2:

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    we i hace a 2072 alumacraft with a 115yamaha 4 stroke get great fuel mileage and runs about 50 loaded topend

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If I remember right Cuz added a jack plate to his and gained a few. Imagine he will be along.

7. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz runs a 6" T-H Marine jack plate which he told me got him 5mph more. He's running a 225 hp Yamaha with a Turning Point 14.25x23 pitch prop and he's got to be running 57-58 mph. I spent 2 days on his boat and it was impressive. He told me that he thinks the Suzuki is a slightly better motor.

SeaArk1: The Suzuki's run a 16 inch prop (according to their website) so comparing a 16 in to a 14.25 in won't be comparing apples to apples. They also run a 2.29:1 gear ratio in the lower drive and opposed to a 2.00:1 in the Yamaha so I guess that's where they get the extra torque to turn the bigger prop. Which pitch are you running and what kind of max rpm are you getting at WOT?

I plan on buying a Big Daddy/Suzuki combo next year so I will be very interested to see more responses to your question.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Have you thought about lowering the motor a notch to see if that keeps it in the water? Or maybe not. Dude talk to the prop god!!! He knows his stuff! Do a google search for prop god. Easy to work with he's out of FL.. Thats all he deals with is props.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Wow I an get that with my 20 ft and a 140 Suzuki. Sounds like you need to get them to cup that prop. That will help it bite in better.
    What size are you running now?
    Pete

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ok you guy have done it any one want an 2072 alumacraft lol

11. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    I already have a jack plate on the boat. When I started out the prop was a 16 X 23.5. Now after being to two different prop guys it is now at 15.5 X 25.5. The suzuki reps are talking about bringing the diameter and the pitch down to like 14.75 X 22. I dont know what will be the best but about 99% of the people I have heard of are doing more mph than I am. :angry:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Matt, make sure you are comparing apples to apples with the other boats. My buddy Mike described how mine is rigged up perfectly. Heres the kicker. Yeah, I can probably eak out 58 miles an hour on the GPS but IF, and its a big IF, the livewells are empty, There is less than half a tank of fuel in the boat, and I'm by myself. If you fill up the livewells, a full tank of fuel, and have your large buddy with you, your gonna lose 7-8 miles per hour easily.

Look at this way. Whats water weighing these days, 8 pounds a gallon or so I guess? 60 gallon livewell, thats 480 pounds. Add in another 100 pounds for the small baitwell. Full tank of fuel, another 400 pounds. Your buddy, probably better than 200 if he's like my buddies. :wink: All your fishing gear? There is a 100 pounds. You now have over 1000 pounds of extra weight in that boat. Your going to lose speed my friend. At tournament weight, I am eaking out 51-52 miles per hour at Wide Open Throttle, if I'm lucky.

As for engines, I love my Yamaha. Wouldnt trade it for nothing but I must be brutally honest. The Suzuki guys are generally a mile or two an hour faster than I am.

Another issue is the drag of the hull in the water. These boats are 24 feet long. The more you can possibly lift that hull out of the water, the faster the boat will go, up to the point the hull begins to porpose.

Heres what I did to get the best performance out of mine. Everytime I came off the water I'd lift the motor 1/2 inch on the jack plate. I kept doing this until I got Prop blow out at Maximum RPM and Wide Open Thottle. Then I backed it down 1/2 " and its there permanently. I feel like now I am getting the absolute best performance I can get out of the boat/motor combination.

Other than that, if you are making the Manufacturers maximum RPM with your engine, maybe just tweak the elevation of your motor a bit, while keeping in mind the more weight you have in the boat, the more speed you are going to lose.

13. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    Cuz,

I did the same thing you did to get the most mph out of the boat with the jack plate. The thing is that when the motor is all the way down on the jack plate and trimming the motor I am only turning about 5100-5200. When I move the jack plate up the prop is blowing out but I am turning about 5600 and I get about 3-4 more mph. The wierd part of this whole thing is that I had 14 people in my boat last memorial day and 11 people in it this memorial day and I can still get the 47 mph. I recently got the prop worked on and got the 2 mph out of it but I am absolutely sure that motor is capable of doing more than it is doing especially with being able to get the same mph with all those people in the boat.

It seemed to me that the front of the boat came out of the water a lot more when I first got it but I was in the break in process so I didnt try to get any speed out of it. But now when I get to WOT the boat drops down in the front and its knocking my speed down. I need more cup in my opinion and I dont know whether the prop guys messed that up working on it as opposed to when it was new. I agree with you on having a full fuel load. I can definatley tell the front of the boat comes out of the water more with little fuel but I cant get the speed with it because I am blowing the prop out.

Just trying to prod some people to get some ideas and seeing what the guys are running for a prop that are running faster.

Thanks to everyone with imput!

14. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    It's going to be really difficult having an optimal prop if you have 14 people one day(which is way overloaded for that boat per Sea Ark's specification chart) and then having a much lighter load the next.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have had a similar problem with my 115/80 jet on the back of my 2072. I was told I should get 32 with a 90/60 and 37 out of the 115/80.
    I usually only get 22-24 mph out of her(depth finder X135).... Maybe I carry too much stuff!

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Isnt that Suzuki rated at 6000 RPM? I thought it was the same as the Yammy's. I'm running at 5900 WOT. Sounds like you might be missing in RPM also. If you increase cup on the prop, you'll lose even more RPM. Something definitely seems out of kilter.

17. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    Illinois Angler - I am not trying to find a prop optimum for 14 people I am just saying I can get the same mph with 2 people or 14 people.

18. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I talked with a sea ark dealer a few weeks ago. I was wanting trade for the 24fter with the 225 suzuki. he told me that alot of were having the same problem with finding the perfect prop. his story was that the 225 was not used on enough aluminum boats for the prop market to be great yet. he said all the props had a bass boat in mind when designed. if there was any truth to this I dont know.

19. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jesse, which dealer told you about the Suzuki prop issue?

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Something just popped into my mind reading Matts post. If you have your jack plate ALL THE WAY down, and your still getting prop blow out, your jack plate isnt mounted correctly. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your situation. I get a little bit of prop blow out at WOT, but like Matt said I gain about 3 miles per hour at top end in this configuration. When I'm at WOT I'm shooting about a 10-12 foot rooster tail. You also mentioned you are only getting 5600 RPM max. I cant figure out why you arent getting the 6000 if you are having blowout. I'm confused. Of course, thats not all that uncommon for be to be confused. :wink: