Sea Ark 24' Big Daddy question?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Dunnica, May 4, 2009.

1. Dunnica

Dunnica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm very interested in buying the Sea Ark 24' Big Daddy, does anyone have any suggestions as to which motor I should outfit it with?

I really don't want to go any bigger than a 150 four stroke, but the rating is for a 225...

Would the 150 push the boat well enough, and does anyone know what type of top speed I might be looking at with a 150?

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    One of are BOC members here in KS (CJ) has a Pro cat240 seaark with a 200hp and last I knew I think he was getting about 48mph. But like the Big daddy, its a lot of boat to get moving across the water.

Hope this helps.
    Chris

3. Dunnica

Dunnica New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like the 150 wont get me close to the 50mph mark I was hoping to get.....thanks again..

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    JMHO, but i have two boats that don't have "max" possible motors, i'm always wanting more power and they feel like they need more, i would say if you want 150, find one of the "cat"series that 150 is the max, good luck

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    If you go with a 18 to 20ft model you will be more likely to hit 50+.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I got 60.1 GPS with my 2472 CUB thats after 2 years of a lot of diffrent set up trial and rigging testing to see what it likes and dont like.:roll_eyes:

7. Dunnica

Dunnica New Member

State:
    Texas
    What size, brand, and type (2 or 4 stroke) motor are you running, and would you happen to know what pitch prop your using...?

Thank you for the response..

8. spanky

spanky New Member

State:
    Missiouri
    I have a 24ft big daddy with a 225 optimax mercury on the back and am getting about 53-54 mph with a 21 pitch tempest prop.

9. Dunnica

Dunnica New Member

State:
    Texas
    :smile2: Thanx for the info....The more people I talk to, it sounds like I'm going to have to spend the extra money and go with at least a 225....Thanx for the prop and pitch info as well, I keep hearing about all the horror stories of buying this one then that one....Maybe I can make the right call right out the gate...So how do you like your BIG DADDY so far...and does it handle rough water pretty good?

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    What degree hul are you looking at?

I have ridden in Cuz's old big daddy that had a 12 degree(I think don't take this to be absolute) and it handled rough water really well.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Chris your making a great decision. The 24 foot 15 degree Big Daddy hull is one of the best on the water. It takes rough water very nicely, and is a very stable platform for fishing etc. SeaArk hit a homerun with this hull. The hull is so sound, its the same one they are using in the new ProCat as well.

That being said, you would be very lucky to see 40mph with a 150 Horse Power Engine. The Big Daddy is a big, heavy boat. If you want to hit the 50 MPH benchmark, your going to have to go with a 225 Horse Motor. It takes alot of torque to get that big boat out of the water, and the 225 will give it to you. Best speed I ever got out of mine was 58 and that was EMPTY of everything, and on a 4 inch jackplate. I dont like spending other folks hard earned money, but I can honestly say without fail, every boat owner I've ever come across has regretted there decision if they underpowered it.

I spent alot of time tweaking and experimenting with my prop setups and heres the best Info I can provide.

1. For the best overall average speed throughout the RPM Range, and best fuel economy overall, its hard to beat the stock Yamaha 3 Blade Stainless props. (assuming you go with a yamaha)

2. For highest high end speed, (at the cost of fuel consumption) I ran a tempest 3 blade prop. I did have the rake tweaked a bit at a prop shop. She would scream at top end but like I said, the engine had to run alot higher rpm's at any given throttle setting to maintain the same speeds as the Yamaha Prop did. The tempest merely gave a better top end speed.

I would run the Yamaha prop for fun fishing, and the Tempest for tournament fishing.

As for brands, if your not brand loyal, I can highly recommend the Suzuki and Yamaha 225 four strokes. I've run both of them and they are both powerfull but quiet, virtually maintenance free, and both wont eat holes through your wallet at an alarming pace.

Best wishes with the new rig.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I really wouldn't put anything smaller than a 200 hp on a 24' Big Daddy / ProCat , and even then you'll be cussing yourself every time you get on the water.

With an undersized motor, you'll find yourself running around at full throttle almost all the time. Poor fuel economy and increased wear on your engine.

With a big-enough motor, you can cruise comfortably at a mid-range throttle setting, go a lot easier on the fuel, save wear and tear on the engine and -- best of all -- have that extra speed available to you when you need it. Like when you need to get away from a storm or get ahead of the pack in a tournament.

I run a Suzuki DF225 on my ProCat 240 and I love it. But be warned that those big engines really like the fuel - at WOT (5800 RPM), fuel burn is about 19.8 GPH (I've got the Suzuki digital gauges, another *very* worthwhile investment). At a comfortable 4000 rpm (around 30 mph), I only burn about 8 GPH.

13. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I run a renegade "offshore" 21p at 6000-6300 rpms at 2-3" below the pad and got the 60.1 mph gps speed tracking 7 satalites....of corse this was just for a good SPEED run, but usually run it 4-5" below the pad at about 5500-5600 rpms = 54-55mph

14. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    I recently bought a 20' V-cat with a 150 E-tec on it and it runs great. While I was in the shopping mode I asked the dealer about a 24' Big Daddy he had there it had a 200 E-tec on it, I asked him if a smaller moter would handle it well and he said it will do ok but the hole shot will be slow and top end is affected some. He recommends at least 200 HP or larger. I then spoke with a guy who had Big Daddy for sale and he had a 225 optimax, he stated that he loved it and woulnd't go any smaller than 225 for the boat. He also stated that he often took his offshore in the summer he was very pleased with the ride. The only reason it was for sale was because all his kids had grown up and he wanted to go back to 18' boat instead of the 24 since it was usually just him and his wife. My experience with my 15 degree V-cat has been excellent and the ride is great. I'm very pleased that I chose to run the max motor size since the boat is quite heavy and requires some serious horsepower to jump it onto plane. I only get 47 MPH max but I'm running a 17 pitch Viper top end is off a little but down here hole shot is everything, 3 seconds flat to plane!

15. spanky

spanky New Member

State:
    Missiouri
    I love the boat only had one problem the zoaton paint started coming off the inside of the boat but sea ark came and got the boat and fixed it under warrenty and delivered it back to me so if you are looking for the best boat maker around in my opinion its sea ark. As the ride goes i love it. It is the easiest boat i have ever fished out of you have all kinds of open space to move around and a bunch of storage to keep things out of the way so your not falling over them.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Like Jeremy, I have always found SeaArk's customer service to be first rate with no complaints. Truly there dealer network is a great attribute for them, and they back there dealers!!

17. Dunnica

Dunnica New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh Trust Me! I plan on getting the SeaArk.....The only other boat I considered getting was the War Eagle

18. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    look at the war eagle specs. before buying they are built with .100 alum. vs .125 on the sea ark also you might look at f and f custom, those ole boys will build to suit.

19. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    War Eagle also builds 18'-23' with .125, but it comes at an added cost.

20. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    thats the good thing about a sea ark, they don`t cut any corners, they build a first class fishing rig