SE Kansas pits, and cut bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by jm_magic, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey all

Has anybody had any luck with cut bait in the public land pits in SE kansas. Specifically bluegill heads.

Thanks allot guys

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

inst one of those old pits where the currnet state record channel cat came from?

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I believe the Channel Record of 36 pounds came from a strip pit on Cut Trout Head.

Don't Know for Sure though!!

4. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea, I actually heard is was caught at the trout pit, but the problem is I really don't want to have to pay for a trout stamp to fish for cats there, and I would certainlly rather stay home and watch the Lifetime channel with the wife before I fish for trout.

5. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Interesting, who would of thought about fishing for cats in a trout pit, maybe thats why there was a record there.

6. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah I hear there were cat in those waters before the trout were introduced, and they are getting big eating the trount fingerlings. I am surprised that Kansas wildlife have not tried ridding the pit of the cats.

I have also heard people getting line broke my many cats they thought were bigger than the record.

7. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You Guys are crazy.Give up a day of fishing to watch tv.:0a24:

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Get a trout permit, catch em , cut em , cast em , catch big cat........

9. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    Where is this pit?

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have used cutbait in many of the numerous pits...and yes it does work. A few years back my buddy caught a 26 lb channel one full moon nite fishing trip we took in area #42...on a piece of cut Bass.

IMO...cutbait is good...but live 2-4" black perch (Because they are so hardy...and survive extended soaks on the hook) are even better. We use lited bobbers at nite fished along weedlines adjacent to structure such as drop offs and extended points...find those with wood or rock cover...and it's all the much better.

Correct

Correct...it was caught out of trout pit...as a matter of fact...the guy was in one of my "honeyholes"...we saw them there that particular nite...and had to go elsewhere.

Fishing for trout is definately not my favorite thing to do...but when there is the possibility of latching onto a trophy class channel cat...the $11 annual fee is not a bad price to pay to catch bait...lol.

IMO...the better bait is live perch...or crawfish...of which there is ample supply of both in Trout pit.

There are also trophy Bass galore in that pit...an 11 1/2 lb was caught 3 years ago there...on a trout swimbait...my prediction is that the next Ks state record comes from that pits as well. (I have seen them there swimming in the clear water before)

Trout pit...or area #30...was loaded with trophy channel and bass way before the trout were introduced 8 or 10 years ago.

It is a difficult pit to fish...deep and steep...up to nearly 80' in places...try to locate an area or areas that present a different outlook...such as a less steep grade...underwater humps...or a shelf...they're there...just gotta find em'. The edges of weed beds and weed lines are dynamite as well.

Area #30...Trout Pit...go 2 miles west of Hallowell, Ks (Located between Columbus and Oswego on 160 highway...turn north on 110 th rd...go apprx. 4 1/2 miles....to Lawton rd (It's a T section)...go 1/2 mile east...you are now at the boat ramp...can't miss it...there are huge boulders sitting on the side of the road and it's right across the road from Friendship Church/Cemetery.

There is a bathroom facility there...the only one in the Mined Land Wildlife area...and also the KWP has installed a new log cabin available for rent...$70 a nite....plus primitive camping is allowed anywhere in the strip pits.

Trout pit is by no means the only option for quality catfishing....we are very fortunate to have such a resource in this area...and it is a place...in a VERY rural setting that a guy can go to and most times be totally alone...sharing the water with no-one...the only sounds being the howl of the coyotes and the hoots of dueling owls.

PM me sometime if you'd like a free guided fishing trip...I'll probably be going anyhow...and usually go alone due to my funky work schedule.

Hope this helps Brian.