SD map cards

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Big Cat Hunter, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am looking to buy a SD map card for my depth finder. Does any one know the best one to buy? Do they work well? Do they include Monticello in South Carolina?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    They usually come in regions. I have a Navionics Hotmaps Premium chip for the South region. Has Missouri, Arkansas, and a couple of other states. I got it primarily for the MO river, but I had it on the Mississippi last weekend and it was great there, too. Check with the guy behind the counter and make sure you get the chip for your region and you should be golden. Double check me, but I believe they will have the charts for the coastal ocean area as well. Good Luck!

Branden

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Branden how do you like the maps for the river? I have heard that the rivers change to much to get much mapping detail. Can you post up a screen shot of you map on any part of the Mo. river (between Waverly and KC) I would like to see what it looks like.
    Thanks , Rob

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The Navionics maps are terribly inaccurate on the Missouri and Kansas Rivers near Kansas City. Nothing is where the map says it is, including the shoreline and the bridges.

I've spent hours on the phone with Navionics trying to convince them there's a problem (everything seems to be shifted east (or maybe west, I forget) about 500 ft). No luck - they couldn't possibly be wrong. Even when their software draws a bridge a few hundred feet away from the road it's connected to.

There's no depth contour on the Missouri River either, so other than showing you the general shape of the river and "approximately" where the dikes are, the map isn't partcularly useful.

It's far better than the built-in map, however, and ,seeing as how it's the best solution on the market, probably worth the expense.

It's just nowhere near perfect.

If you need a sample of the data, call Navionics and ask them for a screen shot - they'll provide it without too much fuss.

5. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I got the same chip but the East version and I love it. Much better detail with it. It isn't perfect like Mr. T said but it is close enough.