scuba diving cats observations - Table Rock

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ozzyso44, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    You would be amazed on how many catfish and big catfish I see with their heads tucked into a crack on the bluffs and drop offs at Table Rock. I have noticed this for several years when diving during the afternoon hours. Sometimes their bodies are suspended with just the head inside.

I don't see how they can be caught until they wake up from the afternoon nap unless you pop them on their head with your bait.

I wonder if they are like that at other not so clear bodies of water.

You can go right up to them and pet them until they figure out that I am bigger than they are and back out and take off.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    You need to have a brother up top then slip a hook in their mouth. You chould hook some one up with a hawg. Interesting observation.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Have you happened to see the one that's the size of a Volkswagon yet?????:smile2:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Ozzy on sharing an interesting observation. Neat post.

5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I used to do a lot of diving in Bull Shoals in my 30's and 40's (I'm 64 now) and most of the catfish I saw hiding were just above the thermocline in the summer. 24' to 28' deep. Now and then, I found one or two deeper than that.

What depth were your's at? Also, the ones I saw were mostly channel cats in the rocks, and the larger Flatheads were INSIDE logs. Just curious if Table Rock was like that.

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Actually, I saw more catfish in brushpiles than anywhere, but that is probably because I spent more time in and around brushpiles. But I have seen them in cliff rockpiles.

This sounds like the perfect tool for fishing - as you actually see what is there.

Scuba diving was a lot of fun, I learned a lot about habitat in a lake, but mostly, I learned how important it is to keep our fisheries clean and healthy.

Wish I wasn't so damn old.