Scroll Saw for Christmas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SSG Johnson, Dec 26, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Christmas day brought me a New Scroll saw the only problem is I havent ever used a scroll saw befor in my life. Does anybody here use scroll saws and can you tell me where to start. I have looked on line and have found many patterns but I am a novice at best as I just figuered out how to turn it on......LOL

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Chuck, congratulations on the new scrollsaw. Pete Kildow (Shilohred) does some of the most beautiful scroll work I have seen. There are a bunch of sites online that you can go to chat about scrolling and find all kind of patterns. What kind of scrollsaw did you get? Pete's saw is a Dewalt and talk about smooth running. Mine is a Delta but I haven't had a chance to practice with it yet either.

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    The wife got me a Dremel 1680 I cant wait to find something to use it on she wants a shelf and I think I will try and scroll the bottem brackets with the saw I cant wait. Ive looked on the web and found some beatiful pieces that some others have made I had no idea what could be made with this saw. I cant wait to get started.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just keep your finger out of the way. LOL. :cursing:

5. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Chuck,

To make your new learning experience go a bit smoother, work with soft woods, use light pressure moving into the blade and, buy SEVERAL packs of blades!!!

If you're not already familure with them, check out "Woodcraft" on-line. They have almost everything a woodworker needs, including howto books and plans.

And don't forget the great advice from Santa Dano... "you'll lop a finger off kid". :eek:

Mike

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way to go, But be careful. It does get where you enjoy cutting so much it will cut into your fishing time. LOL
    For blades. I order mine on line. Flying Duchman blades. He has the best blades and a great price.
    The way i started was draw lines and curves on a pine board or plywood. And try to stay on course with the lines. let the blade do the cutting, Or it will drift everwhere. Also don't push hard. Just enough to let the blade work.
    Also as for how tight the blade should be, I get mine where you can pick it and hear it sing. The only thing an over tight blade will do is wear faster. But a blade that is not tight enough will make it hard to cut where you need to cut.
    Pm me any questions , And If I can help I will be glad to. Also it is easy, People try to make it into a hard job. And you just need to cut and enjoy it.

Also I will look up the link To Flying dutchmans blades. And also if You don't know what size blade to cut what ever your trying to cut he will also tell waht size works best for what size and kinds of wood..
    http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Also here is a link to the best site for free patterns and lots of help..
    http://groups.msn.com/scrollsawportraits/_whatsnew.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
    And here
    http://groups.msn.com/freescrollsawpatterns/newestfreepatterns.msnw?fc_p=/Newest Free Patterns
    Cut right and enjoy the saw, And if you do hit the fingers. It does not cut skin much..

PEte

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Chuck, that Dremel is a fine machine, I know you will love it. They are a lot of fun to play with. It is amazing all the great things you can make with it. I saw some of the fellers online that were making portraits with it and they are really sharp.

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I found a site alot like this one the forum and people seem quite the same with the exception of its a scroll saw forum and not fishing looks like I have two homes now......LOL.

Shilo I found mikes sight and ordered the combo pack with the book and blades I cant wait to get the book and blades to get started. Thanks for all your help Im sure ill need more soon. Maybe we could start a scroll saw forum in the BOC....LOL