Scrapple as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jeremiad, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Has anyone tried scrapple? Seems like an already prepared bait, if you ask me.

All right. Everyone is asking about baits, from steak to squid...I'm surprised some of you don't use caviar, escargot, or pate for bait! When are you guys going to realize that catfish are just like us--they ain't high-ca-flootin'!:lol:

2. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I'm still interested in knowing if there are any fishermen experienced with scrapple.

Does anyone eat scrapple? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? :embarassed:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ma drinks Snapple...:confused2: plays Scrabble...:smile2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.

4. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    All right, Jeb! :lol:

My wife's family always butchered a hog every fall. After the meat was cut, the sausage was made. Following the sausage, comes the makings of the scrapple and pudding (puddin', as we call it). The chiterlings (chittlin's) were always claimed by a fella' up the road (he lived a long time off them things!).

Scrapple is basically made from pork drippings and leftovers from the sausage making process, all mixed with corn meal. It is as much a staple of the breakfast plate as grits are down south.

In fact, I have seen scrapple featured on restaurant menus in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania. In the stores, you will find it usually sold under the Rapa brand.

Anyway, it sounds like a perfect catfish bait. I guess that I'll have to give it a try and then provide a fishing report!

5. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    yummmm.... scrapple n eggs. what about corned beef hash?

6. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Ha! Catfish might like corned beef hash, too. But I think that scrapple might stay on the hook better.

After all, think about it. Some recipes for home-made bait is fairly close to this ready-made source!

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How interesting! It just might work,if a piece of bacon can catch em why not this stuff?I have to admit I have never heard of it,but I would be extremely interested in finding out exactly word for word what it is,I might go to my local butcher shop here in town and see if I could get some. Here's reps to ya man,I stand amazed at all the info I get off this site. It truly is fantastic!--pk powell:smile2:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I learned to like it when I was in the navy and went home with guys from Penn.I would love to eat it but in 40 years I have yet to find it in the Savannah Georgia area.peewee-williams

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If I ever find any more Scrapple,I am going to eat it.That catfish is going to have to find his own.Peewee-williams

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    They sell it in the grocery stores here in NC, in the meat case

11. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I'm surprised that y'all can't find it. Here in Northern Virginia, you can find scrapple in every supermarket.

The brand is always Rapa. It comes in a pound block; regular, bacon, and spicy types. Price runs from $1.79 to $2.19 for a pound. It's located in the breakfast meat section, near the sausage.

It's really quite good, and for those who are squeamish about the content of scrapple, it's not worthy of its poor reputation! Most people are think of pudding, or souse loaf, which consists of pork products that are not quite appealing. :embarassed:

12. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    ya scrapple will prob stay on the hook better. but i think i better not go fishn hungry or else ima eat all the bait. also this is kinda off subject but how do you award rep???

13. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Well, there's a little blue box with a check and x mark in it above each post. Just select that box and you will be able to figure the rest out.

Hope this helps!

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

PeeWee from the sound of it I think the catfish would be well feed if I found any.

15. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks jeremiad. where abouts in va you from? i live in falls church

16. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I'm out in Amissville, about 15 miles west of Warrenton, not too far from the Skyline Drive, where trout dominate the local conversation and usually grace the tables!

I'm not sure that trout would like scrapple, though! :lol:

17. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    okay cool. ya i've been thinkin about tryn out trout fishin this winter. isn't it more a fly fishn thing. or can you get down with rod n reel?

18. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Oh man, :embarassed: you got me confessin' that I go trout fishing in WV, and never around here (not yet, anyway)! In WV I do catch trout using spinners; in fact, small Worden's Rooster Tails work wonders on trout!

I tried fly fishing just a week ago; didn't catch anything, but it was fun.

Remember, check the trout lakes and streams. Many of them have C&R restrictions and/or fly fishing only restrictions.

19. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I sometimes catch cats on cracklins and often use cracklins as chum. It is cooked pork or beef fat.
    My wife is from Georgia and she says they cook it in cornbread down there. It looks good enough to eat fresh out of the rendering tub.

20. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    i will keep an open eye for that stuff. man cracklins sounds a lil too good to just be givn to fish!