Scout's Louisiana Marsh Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by scout, Nov 5, 2006.

1. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well after getting off to a slow start to the Fall fishing season because of the salinty level in the marsh, we finally got some much needed rain. And boy did it make a difference. I made a trip last week-end and caught 29 and I made a trip yesterday and caught 61. I finally got to put away some meat in the freezer. Here are a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

TripleD likes this.
  2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You got that boat fixed just in time. That's a couple of good day.

You see anything of any red fish, or did the fresh water run them out?

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Wow,

Good Looking mess of fish there Scout.

What time is the fish fry??/ lol..

4. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys. Bob I caught one Bull Red about 25-30 pounds and released him to fight another day. The Reds that I have been catching are either too small or to big lol. Would like to catch some eating size ones to cook on the half shell on the pit.

Oh and by the way Bob, the boat is running great. She's purring like a kitten. Thanks again for the help getting her back right.

Bud, we did fry up some catfish tonight and made a shrimp gumbo. Man you talk about dat was some good stuff ya lol. Wish I could send you guys some.

Talk to y'all later, Randall.

TripleD likes this.
  5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Randall,

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Make room for me this winter :embarassed:

6. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've got a seat reserved for you Paul. But I have to tell you that while catching cats you may have to do battle with a Bull Red or two lol:lol: .

7. Cannonball

Cannonball New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello all. My name is Mark and Im new to the Brotherhood so go easy on me. I am relatively new to the area (but not fishin) and have just in the last month been able to get out and go catfishing. A few coworkers got me goin to Lake Fausse Point State Park, which I have the last three weekends. I usually stay in the park waters due to boat restrictions. Last weekend the water was up and muddy but we caught 13 good sixe blues. Saturday I went back, the water was much better and I caught 37. THere seems to be alot of crabs there, Im not use to dealing with that, but there are alot of good spots. I used mostly nightcrawlers but seem to get larger fish when I add a piece of hotdog soaked in garlic powder. I got a few blues on shad.

WHat do yall use for bait and how big do the blues get in the basin?

TripleD likes this.
  8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats a nice mess of fish , thanks for sharing the pics

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    lol charles.?pictures.

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    sorry about the post above couldnt delete it.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC cannonball! I haven't been to Lake Fausse Point in forever, but last time I went, there were gar all over....now that I think about it, thats where I need to go once the water starts warming up again (and I'm JUST NOW DECIDING THIS while I had all summer?!?).

And I hear ya on the crabs. I fish the Vermilion River here in Lafayette and a while back was catching 5 crabs to every 1 catfish, and there wasn't any way I was eating those crabs from that river.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    THanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I was being looked over due to my newness! I went back Saturday and didnt do to well. I caught 8, 4 of which were around 2 lbs, but it was hard fishing. Between the wind and the front moving through earlier that morning I think I was doomed from the start. In the next couple of weeks, I plan on getting a larger boat and Ill start goin to the Rivers (Red, Ach. and Miss.) Things should pick up for me there.

TripleD likes this.
  13. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Cannonball. I made a fishing trip to the marsh last weekend and did really well. I ended up with 52 cats, one Red, and one Speck. I also caught 15 hugh crabs. Hre is a pic of the fish.

Attached Files:

14. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Made another fishing trip today. Only got about a dozen or so cats but did manage to catch three dozen crabs. We had a nice crab boil tonight. Here is a pic of some nice blue points.

Attached Files:

15. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thats pretty awesome! I didn't realize you could catch blues and trout/redfish in the same area. Then again I've caught ladyfish here in the Vermilion river in Lafayette (cast net), and there are even stories of people catching sand trout here.

16. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Stu, that is what I love so much about fishing in the marsh. You never know what you going to catch lol.:big_smile: :0a23:

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    What are you using as bait? shrimp?

18. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Stu, I usually use what I can catch in my cast net, shrimp, pogey and mullet. This time of the year the bait is really scarce though.

TripleD likes this.
  19. drinkmoremilk

drinkmoremilk New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How deep is the area you are fishing in scout?
    Im new to the site and, like stu, hadn't heard of marsh catfishing, which, like you said, seems to be an awesome concept....the ability to catch reds, trout, and cats at the same spot.

TripleD likes this.
  20. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Chris. The water in the marsh can be from inches to at the most 12 feet. This time of the year with the northern cold fronts the water gets extremely low. The local marine patrol spends alot of time pulling out stuck boaters with their airboat.