Scouting?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by smhmc6, Apr 7, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys. I am planning on hunting some public land in Pulaski County, MO this year. I think it is Mark Twain land, but it is really really big and lots of hardwoods. Not really any open areas. I know there are alot of turkeys in there cause I saw them in the fall deer hunting, mostly crossing wheeler trails and such. I am having trouble scouting, what keys do you guys look for? I want to find where they roost but with all the huge oak trees everywhere the possibilities are endless. I think I'll try and get out there early tomorrow morning and listen for them, even though it will be pretty cold not sure they'll gobble but at least its an excuse to get into the woods. Anyway, I haven't been out there in the mornings yet, but in mid afternoons looking droppings, feathers whatever with no luck. I've tried the spots I saw them in the fall (even though I know they change location for different food sources), an area with alot of pines as a pose to oak, and a pipeline area thats been cut out. Any tips would be helpful... thanks guys.

2. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Steve, I hunt turkeys here in MO on public land. The best advise I can give is to get out there and listen for birds at day break and try to find strutting zones, dusting areas, and food sources. The cold weather wont keep the toms from gobbling. Also dont use turkey calls to try to locate birds unless you actually hunting, it only educated the birds before the season opens. Good luck!

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks. I wasn't going to use turkey calls, but I was thinking about maybe using locator calls like owl hoots and crows. From what I've read around, early morning you want to use owl hoots.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys, got another question. Today I was out scouting again for a few hours... found a good area I think (with the little experience I have). I found a huge sycamore (sp?) tree in this river bottom area that is a possible roosting tree. Its about 100 yards from the Merimac river and there was all kinds of droppings underneath it and a few feathers. My question is whether or not they were turkey droppings and feathers or just a hawk or something. The droppings were all pretty much white, it looked like someone had taken there paint brush and flung it around to clean it out. So there were white spots everywhere. And the feathers were brown, but they seemed long and this is where I though it was probably a hawk. The feathers were about 6 to 8 inches long and all brown. The weren't darker or lighter at the tip like a fan feather or anything. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It does sound like a good roost spot, but the evidence you found wasn't from turkeys. Turkey droppings from a hen look like marshmellow puffs, and gobblers will look like puffed Cheetos (not a good comparison I know!)

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice comparison, thanks for the help. I didn't think it was turkey droppings cause i've seen them on roads before... but I also don't have much experience so I thought I would ask. Thanks again.