Scouting spots on the GMR?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by JBrooks, Sep 9, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    After two years of fishing a spot, someone finally decided to tell me I was on their private property and left before I had a chance to even talk to them about it. This essentially gets rid of 4 good spots of mine due to it being a large stretch of river.

I'll probably politely ask people if I can fish on their land too, I know of a few spots through word of mouth that will allow it as long as you're not a nuisance. I'm not one of those fisherman who leave their tracks behind. I'm pretty sure the owners of the land I fished on got fed up with the amount of garbage that on the banks. Last time I went down there, it was disgusting.

The only other spot I know of the GMR I can only fish with other friends due to it being their property.

I thought about finding my own spots, even making trails to the river if I have to. I was just wondering if you guys have any luck with this river and finding spots, or is the entire bank private property at this point?

Guess I'll have to buy a Jon Boat. :001:

/ James

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    much of the land along the GMR from middletown-north is owned by the Miami Consrvancy making it "public land" so its fairly easy to find spots, bad thing is good spots get hammered. not so down your way, its all private. i learned long ago how fanatical folks, buisnesses, and local govt. agencies are about their land along the GMR south of the last dam on the GMR. had cops called on me and even had a couple guys come down with guns. if it were "posted" i wouldnt have trsspassed but from fishing most of my life up this way i just assumed river access was the same down there. thankfully i have met a couple landowners who let us fish, and found spots good spots that you can only reach by canoe. now after finding "canoe spots" i have had landowners notice we were down there but they didnt mind so long as we werent crossing their land. maybe they assume, or maybe we do actually have the land up to the "high water mark" as public property....?

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Haven't had any confrontation yet, but the spots that I've been at haven't had posted trespassing signs. I think the main concern down here is people dumping into the river - I do see those signs but they're still far and few between.

I'll probably head back to this spot in my vehicle, since they haven't seen that car yet, and wait on them so I can talk to somebody about their property. If they let me fish there or not, I'd still like them to know I'm not the aholes down there slamming beers and leaving them all over the river bank.

Starting tomorrow I have a few places that I plan on asking the land owners if I can fish on their river. Hell, I'll even offer to work for them every once in awhile since two of the places are large farms :smile2:. It's so frustrating to be so close to a decent fishery and I can't find any access points to it anymore.

Eagleston park even closes their gates now - haven't seen that done in years either. There were at least a dozen spots to fish along there. I guess it's other people ruining these holes for the rest of us. Because like I've said before, if you didn't see me parked there - you wouldn't even know where I was fishing.

I appreciate the post, reps to ya.

4. Chris Giff

Chris Giff New Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    I'm probably wrong but you might wanna look into this..I was always told 5 feet up from the river is public property even if they paying taxes on it saying its theirs. If it works like that just wade on down to the spot. I"m probably way off and wrong but its worth looking into I guess.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't really understand it.
    Are you saying if I stand 5 feet out in the river, I'm on public property or what? :smile2:

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Think what he is trying to say that is that 5 feet on the bank up from the water level is considered public property. Not sure if this is true, or if the number of footage is correct but it would seem to make some sense. I would really like to know how the land is surveyed in the area you are talking about...i wonder if it is matter of public record. Seems the way it is layed out since i am familar with the area...you would think all of the area near the road and the bank consequently would be public property....or property of a park....because the peoples houses are opposite that side, and they do not do maintence on it...im sure by looking at it that the county does. I would check this out...talk with the people......and find out more info, maybe look up public records if any. :cool2:

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i would still be careful, in management class we learned that a person can actually own the property all the way out to the middle of the river channel. Which means you would be trespassing, you can legally float through that section of river but as soon as you anchor you are trespassing

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The 5 foot rule doesn't make sense to me since the river is constantly rising and dropping. Who knows where the land was surveyed at the time that ownership was claimed. The graphs don't care if your land is filled up with water or not. :smile2:

I'll just be knockin' on doors tomorrow.

9. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. Chris Giff

Chris Giff New Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    Guess ya just drift then hehe..yah I dunno like I said I"m probably wrong..was just something I was told a while back.

11. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    pendog66 is right, but dont worry, eventually the Miami Conservancy District (MCD) will be acquiring land down that way and already have started to do so, its just not very much yet, the land under the water can be owned and is tresspassing if wading or anchored, but floating is permitted there is nothing they can say or do about that. the hamilton county gis link is a very useful link to use, check the river up and down for access points and also find out if a government agency owns property or not, plus GIS sites also offer aerial photography which is useful on locating possible fishing locations, remember though some of the photos can be 5+ years old and the river would have changed for sure quite a few times. im heading to the GMR this weekend for the first time since spring cause of all the over crowding here in the datyon area....