Scouting for catfish? Will it help win a catfish tournament?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazyKat, Oct 6, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    question
    if im gonna fish in a tournament in december and i go out looking for spots thats producing fish right now and for the next 2 months till the tournament is it gonna help or with it being winter time during the tournament will the fish be in totally differant places?

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It will definately help you if you can pattern the fish in your area. Being in Kentucky the water temps shouldn't drop to low to send them into full winter mode by December. Around here that is 38 or so degrees surface water temp's and lower. Outside of that the best laid plans can be changed by a sudden cold front and/ or a steady shift in wind direction before tournament day. IMHO you will be a leg up on fellow competitors that are not also doing the same.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sure it would be a big help,that way when you get there you will already have an idea of where all the good spots should be.where the cover is things like that,i would think that would be an advantage right there.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It can't hurt. A lot of things can affect where catfish will be hanging and a lot can happen in the time frame you mention. Water levels, temps, etc. Especially if you are fishing a river because a river can change dramatically in a very short time-structure changes, current shifts, etc. But having a few places where you know fish have been at is a good starting point. I usually try to scout out a new place a week or so before the tournament, but any sudden changes in conditions can make a sudden change in where the fish are located. Good luck.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    never a bad idea to keep your finger on the pulse of your local cats.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished a few local tournaments this summer,and I fished 3-4 days during the week leading up to the tournament on Saturday. I definitely believe that if you want to be competitive in a tournament you should try to fish as much as you can that week leading up to the actual tournament. It will sure save you a lot of time trying to find the fish the day of the tournament. I like to have at least 3 good spots lined up to fish on the day of the tournament,just in case someone else happens to be on one of your spots before you get to it. If you want to be successful in tournaments you have to put in a lot of time and effort days before the actual tournament. Believe me though,if you have done your homework it will pay off the day of the tournament.

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i know that evryone is going to head straight for the dam and i understand that so im gonna find spots away from the dam and in the other direction. anyone can run to the dam and throw a pole out but im thinking whats gonna happen when everyone gets to the dam and the fish arent there? thats when i hope i will have the edge. i have a map of the river and im gonna start doing my homework and marking my map with the depth and where i catch fish and size... i think this will pay off. i have fished the dam and had great success and the next day not get a bite. i want to be prepared.