Scouting for a possible early summer trip to Edistoe river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bearfrog1, May 19, 2008.

1. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Never been. No idea where how what ect. Been reading up on some great flatheads coming out of there and how they have basically taken over there eating all the bullheads brim and redbreast.
    Can anyone help me scout (give advice) on it? I live in Surfside Beach and fish Santee alot but want to branch out and try something new. May even consider renting a guide instead of hauling my 25ft pontoon there. Or even better, linking up with one of my fellow brother BOC's.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes there are great flathead population there but no better than right in your backyard santee river, waccamaw river, pee dee river all are tidal rivers with BIG flatheads in them even the ICW has them.

3. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    With gas over my budget and the fact that my backyard is equal, guess I know my answer.
    Thanks again for always replying with good solid info my friend!
    Jonathan

4. Also, I think certain parts of the edisto has a "DO Not Eat" ban on flathead cats due to high mercury content. No problem w/ catch/release.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I live in Charleston and fish the Edisto quite a bit and occasionally "branch out" to other rivers up your way. And, I agree totally with what Rivercatsc and Santee_catman said. I fish the lower Santee some and it has great flatheads, too (although I find the Edisto easier to fish because the lower Santee has so much wood that it's hard to find a good spot to fish) and I have heard wonderful things about the Waccamaw, Black and Pee Dee. If I were you, I would start with those.

The other part is also true - about Mercury, and it is not just the Edisto. For some reason the water chemistry of balck water rivers makes the fish concentrate more mercury. The Edisto flatheads are a deffinate DO NOT EAT. I hate to say it (because I'd like to see them released), but the Santee River flatheads are cleaner, although personally I still would not eat a big fish from there. I don't remember the actual numbers, but I suspect that the fish from black water sections of the Pee Dee, Black and other rivers would be as bad as the fish from the Edisto.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here's the DHEC page with the clickable map of fish consumption advisories:

http://www.scdhec.gov/environment/water/fish/map.htm

Flatheads are not listed on many of the winyah Bay drainage rivers or the Santee River at all. Don't be fooled into thinking that this means they are totally safe, I think it may mean that they just haven't tested them there yet. I'm pretty sure that fish that have been tested and found safe are listed in the "no restrictions" list, but if a fish species does not appear at all, then that means it has not been tested, and you are on your own. The blue cats in those rivers are listed as "do not eat more than once a week" for men - much less for expecting women or children.

By the way, with the way the droughts have been the last couple of years, your pontoon would be way too much boat for most of the Edisto (anything above tidewater). A smallish jon boat works better. It's a beautiful river - still well worth a trip!