scouted the maumee yesterday

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by chasethecat, Feb 18, 2009.

1. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    yesterday i decided to go out and scout the maumee (from toledo to grand rapids dam). i had heard some rumors about ice out cats that had me thinking the season may start sooner than i thought. the river was obviously high and muddy. the slow current areas i figured would be holding fish were fortunately also ice free. also, i was able to net emerald shiners, which seem to be the best early season bait on the maumee (out-producing frozen shad, cut carp, crawlers, stinkbait, and chicken livers for me). i typically find shiners close to the bank in and near tall grass or shrubs submerged by high water. fished a known hole in a slow current area and caught one approx. 2lb. channel with a couple more bites that i wasn't able to capitalize on. another "fisherman" came down with some lead and 6/0 trebles and proved to me that there were more fish in the hole than were actively feeding. i was happy not to get skunked, but not exactly encouraged to go back this weekend. i'll probably spend march and april out on lake erie walleye fishing and return to the river and cats in may as i did last year, but i would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had luck with early early season channels here on the maumee. i know that last year early may is when i caught both my 10lb. plus channels for the year so i was hoping to get in on some early season big channels before the water warms up and i focus on flatheads...

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc nice catch rick

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Mike:

I also fish the Maumee around the Grand Rapids area. I'm not sure how early the channel cats start hitting on the river -- I usually focus my time on the River Raisin in the Monroe (MI) area. I also know of guys who snag on the Maumee, but to the best of my knowledge they're after buffalo. (I actually talked to two guys last week who were snagging and that's what they were after.)

4. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    Andy
    i'm familiar with the river raisin but haven't tried it for cats. do you prefer it over the maumee for flatheads too? i hate to spend that money on the out of state fishing license in mich. but i always do by the time smallmouth fishing gets hot in the detroit river anyways. i've fished the hot hole in monroe for cats and done well. the snagger i ran into was out for anything he could lay a hook into, unfortunately he succeeded in hooking a couple buffalos and a couple channels and was still there when i left. my boat/bank situation is that i do most of my catfishing from the bank. my main fishing partner is my dad, who owns a ranger 620. he's interested in going after big flatheads or taking a trip down to the ohio for blues, but walleye and smallmouth fishing trumps catfishing for him. essentially, i took up catfishing in order to have my own fishing adventure where i would not be in the position of understudy. last year i landed 15 flatheads on about as many trips, biggest was a little shy of 35lbs. mostly @ weirs. i'll have to look into bank access to the river raisin. i started working walleye charters @ age 12 (my dad was a charter captain before he landed a job @ BP) and have been on the lake ever since, so if you ever want the scoop on the local walleye bite i'd be happy to help you out. m.

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Welcome to BOC.
    There are not any flatheads of any size in the Maumee. :smile2:
    You are fishing a good area around Weir Rapids, but there are better spots. I usually start my catfishing in the Maumee at midnight May 1st. That should narrow it down to 17 miles where to fish. 3 reasons for this:
    1 The water usually doesn't warm up enough till then.
    2 I farm and am busy planting.
    3 Those darn hook regulations that are in effect until may 1st.
    It would really suck to get a big fish on a hook that won't hold it.
    I don't mind helping someone figure out where they might want to fish, but won't ever tell you where.
    We had a small get together last year and hopefully we will have another this year.
    10 lb was the biggest channel you got out of the maumee? Some nights we get 10-15 that size with some up to 20 lbs. My biggest channel from the Maumee is 28 lbs and biggest flat landed in my boat last year was 54 1/2 lbs. I am saying this to encourage you to try to find the bigger ones, they are there. My son caught a 35 lb flat when he was 7 in the maumee, from the bank, so you don't always need a boat, just a good spot. They are there, good luck finding them.

6. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Mike:

There aren't any flatheads in the Raisin. Early in the year near Dundee can be really hot when the water's high. Once the water is warm enough, I spend the rest of the summer/fall on the Maumee. I'd like to set up another Maumee get-together for this summer, maybe even two. Joe, let me know if you'd like to do it again this year. PM me if you want. I'll talk to you guys later.

Andy

7. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    Joe,
    Thanks for the encouragement. what you said about my spot and my results is pretty much what i expected, but it was year one of my venture into the species so i hung in by the rapids and learned many lessons about tackle, bait, circle hooks, etc... this year i'm planning to do much more location exploration. and yes, when i do find myself a little honey hole i'll be wise enough not to out the exact location to the public :wink: m.

8. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

how about keepin the river raisen on the "SHHHHHH" list dont mention this river please, great way to ruin a good fishery, this river cannot take the pressure that the maumee can take!!!! and as said before no flats no blues, just little channels so not worth the drive.