scottys new vow on cpr

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfishscotty, Aug 3, 2009.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ok been giving this some thought last couple of days .

ive talked about a slot limmit in the heated cpr threads .

I was raised old school if we caught it we kept it , within limmits of course . we cleaned a 2 lber as well as 80 lbers .

I have to still admitt tho I honestly dont give a darn who keeps what Im not interested about the other guys catch as far as he keeps it or not its totaly his choice and Im not gonna start preaching .

the waters I fish have a very good abundance of 5 to 20 lbers in lake of the ozarks and truman , and too many under 5 lbs to even imagine .

so im gonna do my best to do my own slot limmit from here on out on blue cats .

heres my plan

I dont see why to kill anything under 4 lbs not enough meat on it to me to kill it .

I also from here on out dont plan on killing a blue cat over 20 lbs either .

so im only gonna keep them from 4 to 20 lbs on blue cats .

to be totaly honest the size i like to clean the most is from 7 to 12 lbs
    good amount of fillet and not to big to be a pain doing the job .

I have a good sized livewell and if i manage to get 5 in the 7 to 12 thats what im keeping and turning everything else back ..

kinda my own slot limmit .

as far as flatheads they dont get targetted much on the waters i fish 95 %% of the people are fishin for blues when they hope to catch a flathead

so as far as flatheads i will keep them as i catch them . I just like the different taste and tecture they have and to be honest the last few years chassing blues so much probably only average around 15 a year anyway on truman and lake of the ozarks .

last year when i spoke with the agent who shocks truman and lake of the ozarks he told me

on truman they shocked around 32 flatheads an hour

on lake of the ozarks it was in the high 20s a hour from what I remember .

and my favorite of the 4 smaller lakes was 37 flatheads an hour .

I have 4 other smaller lakes i love to just target flatheads in that only have channels and flatheads with no blues im aware of .

I dont keep any channels at all . dont care for them lol

so to me this seems kinda middle of the road on the cpr thing and i feel is the right thing to do to me ..

so wish me luck guys im gonna try my hardest to stay in my own size to keep .

BUT i still wanna catch bigger of course lol now i just have to remeber to take the darn camera to the boat when I go so i can share pics of them with my friends on the BOC then watch them swim away :big_smile::wink:

I know I love seeing others pics of fish and the storys !!!!! to me it gets me all fired up to want to go fishin again !!!

thanks for listening dont know if I will get any feed back or not but thats ok if I dont I just wanted to share this with you all .

good luck guys and gals !!!

2. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    sounds like u will probably keep a few ppl a little happier on here:wink:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks man! I like fish as much as the next guy and I think a lot like you do as far as what I'll clean - I'd rather clean 1 10# fish as 5 2# fish:smile2: Truth be told after a night of fishing I've had my fill of cutting up fish for bait, last thing I want to do in the AM just as it's getting hot is cut up more fish - no matter how hungry I am:big_smile:

Scotty, you're pretty influential on here and I appreciate you taking a minute be serious and kind of lay out your thoughts on it.

Thanks man,

Branden

4. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Thats a good set of standards to set.I like catchin fish the bigger the better,and if throwin some back will increase my chances I m all for it.
    I dont keep every biggun,but if I want a big flathead steak I might just keep 1 or 2!!

REPS SCOTTY and BRANDEN!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Myself like you Scotty was raised in a manner we eat everything we caught. As a kid when daddy commercial fished in Ark. there was a 16" minimum for commercial guys. I've seen some big fish skinned that by all rights was too tough to eat, or lardy fat. I remember when a fish from the Ark. river wasn't fit to eat period.
    I've changed my way of thinking and doing things as i got older. Use to kill a yearling deer or a jake turkey and never blink an eye at it but anymore wait on a big fat barren doe thats not got any little ones. Same with a turkey, i'll let the jakes walk. If i'm with a kid, they get to shoot whatever pokes it's head out,,,the 1st. year.:wink: Sorry to ramble so much and like Brandon said your personal decision will spread i'm sure. Thanks

6. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Wow, I think thats pretty awesome of you to come out here and say. Whats wrong with those darn channels now. What are you some kind of racist and don't like the olive skin color?:confused2: <lol> just messing with ya big guy:wink: :big_smile:

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Hey Scott I appreciate you new outlook on the CPR and selective harvest. I like to eat a good mess of blue cat as the next person. I also as you was raised old school and it was you keep everything you caught as long as it was within the limits. Glad to see you have a new out look on this. You will find out that it is a great feeling to catch that big fish take a picture and then watch him swim away. What a rush to know that he is there for another day to bend you rod and to reproduce the fish that we love to chase so much.

Tom

8. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm in the works of planning a "freezer-filler" trip later in the month and plan to be pretty selective as far as size and species of fish I catch as well. I think it adds an extra challenge to target specific fish like this.

9. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Scotty I am not on here to tell any person (women or guy) what to keep and what to CPR. That the person behind the reel.
    I am here to meet new friends, and to learn how to fish better.
    I bass fished for years, and was fare at it. But the kid in me came out the last few years and I wanted to hook a big cat.

In the year I have been on here, I have seen heated posts over CPR.
    Its like all the boss’s and no employees.
    I work in a place like that, sure makes it hard to go in at times.

With all the heated (I say) sure makes it a hard place to come to.
    Some people say kill deer is not right. When I was a farm hand in 1984.
    I took my biggest deer, it was 244 field dressed and had 15 points, and put me in the Show Me Big Buck club. Now CPR that.:wink:

I commend you on your decision. Do it for you not what people what.

My Grandmother told me when I was little, any man can be a follower, it
    It takes a real man to be a leader.

For me I have not got anything over 10lb. So I can not say what I will do.
    Till that day comes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  10. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    thanks guys !!!!

ya dont know how hard it was for me to type that much and be seriuos that long . lol thanks for putting it that way you know who :wink:

that tickled me

again thanks to all !!!!

11. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Dose this meen the green hauler will be auctioned off.:embarassed: I have to give ya props though big guy coming out and saying that after all the battels you have fought takes some big ol brass cohanas, even though I know you have been lettn fish swim for years. To the new Scotty, may small guys have no fear, eaters shed tears, and monsters roam another day! (Chugging Budwieser)

12. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Your day will come very soon Steve and you will beat that 10# by a long shot:big_smile: and if you want to keep that big fish when you get it then by all means do so buddy:big_smile: I have kept a few big ones in my younger years, but have changed over time.

13. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

no lol i grew up eating bullheads and channels along with blues and flatys

right after truman was flooded ya could catch 5 gallon buckets full of big bullheads and it was a great time .

we ate them year round and channels

now ya hardly ever catch a bullhead in truman in my area i honestly feel the blues and flatheads ate them up quick lol

seems the channels dont taste the same as they did when i was a kid or i just got picky for blues and flats lol

just like drum in the lake years ago they seemed to taste good back then now i wouldnt even try them again . call me crazzy lol

this gonna sound crazzy but back when we gigged the heck out of carp and buffalo years ago and mom canned them ya couldnt beat them patties in the winter !!!! yummy yummy i think next spring i will see if my nephew copeman wants to go giggen and see what i think of them now ..

man that was fun as a kid gigging huge carp and buffalo wadding in the sloughs and creeks ...:big_smile:

14. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    BRAVO!!!!

:big_smile:

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You are doing your part to help the next generations catch bigger ones. If we all can do this then that would be awesome. We all know that no one can eat every fish they catch. It's such a great feeling when I toss a big fish back into the water. The thought of I might catch that fish again gives a warm feeling that's hard to describe. Many thanks,,,

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

o heck no the green fish hauler will still be in action just less wieght lol :smile2::smile2: im gettin old and fat i need every advantage of easy i can get lol

cheers to 12 ounce curls and twinkies !!!!!

17. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I am with you big guy!!

18. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I have a gigging stick that I haven't used in years now. I would love to get that thing back out as it was soooooo much fun when I was young gigging frogs in the ponds, carp and buffalo in crooked and smaller rivers off the Mo. If I was in your waters and when I had my place at truman. I never thought of those channels nearly as much. Channels are fun and I am glad to get that 20 mark. However, #1 reason why I go for channels more than anything is that I haven't had my boat for a while now. Getting to good blue water on the Mo around here is a little on the tough side from bank. Plus, this year is the first time I have really dedicated some quality time to flat heads. When I get my next boat soon those channels will be left behind for a while for sure.

19. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scotty nice essay you wrote lol. I had read about this cpr thing on here and wasn't to much against it sounded fair to me. But not that it matters to me cause you catch all the fish out of the truman anyway, sat beside you for a hour and didn't get a bite.

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    if i remeber right you was in a big white boat i think and it was late winter pattern .

In the winter pattern i use a marker bouy alot when i mark fish that im gonna set up on . only different was why we caught some and you guys didnt was just bait location and placement .

if im thinking of the right day and that was you the fish was just tight around the bottom half of the banks edge before it got to the channel

and you guys was just a few yards out in the channel to far is all .

In winter I may drive around for a hour or more looking for a good pile of fish before i set up on them and wet a line .

winter dosnt allways mean fish the deepest holes . I have much more luck finding them on the channel edges and ledges . then the hard part is figuring out what to tie to or where to place anchors or mud poles to reach them the best .

its so easy to miss place the see fish on your electronics then set up and placing the bait close and in the pile of them . 10 yards can make a huge difference either to short of a cast ,, too long and left or right .

depending on how big the school is .

you will get them next time brother :wink: !!!!