Scottsburg Indiana Reservoir

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by RisenDevil, Oct 3, 2006.

1. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :roll_eyes: Ok .,

My wife and I frequent the Scottsburg resevoir for several reasons . The main one is it's usually calm and quiet , real real calm and quiet . And the cat fishing there is (regardless of local opinions) not half bad . The big boys aren't as thick as they used to be but they should be better next spring because the city just recently had it stocked . The results are already showing as my wife and I went last nite and in about 2 hours she caught 3 nice looking 3-5 pounders and though I never got it in I hooked into one that (just guesing from what I did see of it) must have weighed around 40 pounds . Boy did he fight . I was heart broke when he spit my hook back at me and disappeared .:too_sad: But like they say .... "win some lose some"

Any way the reason for this post is to kind of promote my favorite fishing hole . If ya go and ya get there at the rite time of the day ya might get lucky enough to get the best spot on the bank and fish from the east side of the road off the culvert . Or if not ya can fish off the dam and and really have alot of fun but ya gotta park an awful long ways off and carry your gear . (that's a bad thing for me as I have to waddle around with a cain but a good thing for everyone else cause I aint down there with my wife watching her catch 'em all . lol .

It does have boat access for those of you who are fortunate enough to own one . You can build fires so long as you dont make a mess and clean up after words no one will say anything (bon-fires not recomended LOL) .
    Their are a couple of hidden acess points to the lake that not very many people are aware of and you dare brave the weeds and local no-necks (my name for snakes) you can definately have seclusion .

Words of warning however ... If you don't like seeing snakes in the water at nite rite in front of you ... you might not want to have lites on lol . Lanterns draw bugs , bugs draw frogs , frogs draw snakes . Simple math .

But all in all it's a nice , clean , quiet , easy to find hole in the ground in Scottsburg just a little west of hwy 31. It is commonly called Scottsburg Lake , or the twin lakes just off of lake road . I hope you will give it try some time if ever you're in the area .

Have a great time
    I know I will
    \,,/- (O:~) -\,,/
    Jeff

2. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I forgot to mention that the picture of me on my B.O.C. account was taken from the culvert at the resevoir in the afforementioned stream . Ain't I Purdy :big_smile: ? lol

3. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Risen devil. I fish Scottsburg lake some also but I have not this year. Never caught anything big out of it but have caught some nice catfish. Catch a lot of crappie out of there also but they are usually on the small side. I was told there are saugeye in the lake. Ever catch any out of there? I've never fished for them but would like to give them a try.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for the adivice ill have to try that place some time

5. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi mperry, and you are all very welcome . I think I've seen you there before . I've never actually caught or seen any caught there but I like you have heard the same .

Also I guess I should have mentioned their are a variety of freshwater fish in that little ol' hole . I've caught Bass (large & small mouth, rock) , Blue gill , Crappie , Red ear , a varitey of cats , all the usuals . I have also pulled out of that water a variety of snakes and turtles so if ya don't see what it is til it hits the bank ya might:0a34: wanna use a little caution .

Until nex time . . . sweet dreams and pleasant nite mares .:hell_boy: I didn't make you do anything .

6. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I may try to get out there sometime this month. My dad and I actually put my bass boat on it one year. Had a hell of a time getting it off and even worse getting it back on. I'd like to see them put a small ramp in there since I can't talk the wife into letting me get a small boat. She says I have enough toys. I think never enough. :lol:

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey fellas I fished Elk Creek Lake last year and had good luck for cats. It's off 256 between Salem and Scottsburg. Is this the place ya'll are talking about...and if not have you tried there this year? Gas prices kept me home. It has an unlighted boat ramp, and took my little bass buggy up there last year and did great for eating size cats. If this isn't it, where exactly are you talking about? I live in Jeffersonville. Thanks.

8. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi bootshowl. Scottsburg and Elk Creek Lake are different. You more than likely passed Lake Road on you way to Elk Creek. It is at the stoplight where Wally World is on Hwy. 56. If that is the way you came. Take a left at the light and it will run you to it. Both places have good fishing in them. I have not fished either one in a while but may try to get there before it gets to cold.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks Mike. I'll check it out. I did drive right by the turn off. Put the ? out there & if you hear anything interesting make another post. I did really enjoy Elk Creek lake though. Hawks, Kingfishers, good fishing, beautiful sun sets....trolling motors only. It don't get no better. Did a trip to little Patoka and didn't do anything....My best luck this season was over at Marysville, and you know thats cheating! But they sure taste good. Luck to you.

10. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't live to far from Marysville lake. My daughter and boyfriend fish there from time to time and usually catch a few cats every time they go. I also only live about 3 miles from Hardy Lake. If you have never fished it you should give it a try. It has recently been stocked with Stripers and Wipers along with having a good population of cats, crappie and bluegill. If you bass fish it can be pretty good to but most on the small side. It also has Tiger Muskies even though I have only seen pictures of a few caught out of there.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I will. Marysville is a special place for me as it was the first place I went fishing as a boy. The family farm was right there at Clapp & Marysville Rd.
    If I remember right the lake was on a heck of a lot bigger one, dairy cows and all. Gramps had a 179 acre truck farm and share cropped also. He knew the family well and we could go in an fish if Gramps asked. Tim Garry owns it now and they are good folks. He's as happy for you when you catch a big en as if he would be if he caught it hisself...