Scotch on the rocks:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Dec 12, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You bring the Scotch (a lot of it), I got the rocks.

Ice sheets, Ice cubes, Icicles, Ice dams, Iced roads, power lines, trees, shrubs, Ice rinks A veritable world of ice. A veritable world of death in the making.

We got nailed as so many people have. I can relate to them, some of you can't because you missed it. On the news, on the internet, in the coffee shops, if you can get to a coffee shop. Bad, bad, bad. I am going on 63 candle years and haven't seen it this bad before. Can't do anything about it and I am not complaining that way.

We got it and it is going to stay about 10 days. Here's somethings we have encountered.

5 gallon buckets of water filled for ourselves and livestock should the power go off.
    Frozen walkways, lanes and roads. Don't have ice cleats or caulks or chains, hard to move around.
    Trees snapping off in the timber, making noises like 7 mm gunshots.
    Ice dams forming, worried about the roof leaking.
    Turkey can't break the ice or even roast in their favorite oak trees.
    Pheasants frozen in their clumps of grass or suffocated with ice on their nostrils.
    Songbirds freezing to tree branches, unable to roost or feed. Weed seeds and forage covered in ice, unable to get to it.
    Deer yarding up, having difficulty walking or running. Starting to strip tree bark and twigs after breaking the ice.
    Nancy's crippled up old horse standing out in the pasture afraid to move for fear of falling.
    Cedars, pines, spruces, birches bent over and cracking.
    Raptors can't find mice under the snow and ice, just circle and circle.
    Eagles, their carrion hidden heading for the river to fish.
    Nancy can't get out to go to work.
    With my bad back I am afraid to go down on this ice, complicates doing anything.

Just another not normal day. The sad part is winter has just begun. We'll know when it is over.

Just bring the Scotch. We'll have it straight up. i don't want to see any more ice.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I feel for you John! The ice thing is tough going! We have had them here in Pa before but not quite like you folks are dealing with. I don't do the hard stuff but if you can sink a few beers in the ice I may trek over your way! :wink:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya won't see a report like that on the news. Hang in there John.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George. They are talking about this turning into a bad "Nor'Easter" for you folk in a coupla days. Hope it doesn't materialize for you. I'll have to come trekking East to show you how to shoot catfish. Speaking of which, I got to go poke at 'ol Netmankack. Can I catch fish? he asks. Does a bear scratch his rear. Wait till I get my camera. I'll' show ya how to catch guppies in a tank.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yea! Its the top story on every channel. Ya think they would have bigger fish to fry. I hate it when they sensationalize the weather first thing outa the gate. Everybody panics and runs to the store for bread and milk. To hell with that. I say get diet pepsi and smokes. LOL!

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I can deal with Nor'easters, but ice storms are far more dangerous. You and Nancy be careful!!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know ya got critters to take care of ,John . But be carefull and stay safe.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Watch out, John. Bass Pro Shops most likely keep their aquarium tanks under video surveillance. Just because the staff all have their backs turned doesn't mean you can whip out the ole dip net! :tounge_out:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    How many candidates are out there campaigning on global warming?

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey john, sounds like you got the makings of a nice party. at least no-one will have to run to the store to refill the coolers. just keep the beer and liquor outside. after about 15 or 20 beers you wont even be able to tell how cold it is. and dont worry, i will bring enough scotch for the 2 of us. if you ever want to get out of the cold you can come down here where it is just cool, not cold. i got a spare bedroom.

11. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    John,
    Hope you and Nancy are safe and snuggled in for the day. we have a little ice but not bad, if it is alright with you just keep the ice on the east side of this great state
    Take care & stay warm.
    Sharon

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We've been lucky so far and all the ice has stayed west and north of here. I know you have farm chores that have to be done just be careful anytime you go outside. Hopefully you won't lose power.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, do hit the scotch too hard. It will make you feel like superman. Hit that ice and you will fly. Stay off the ice skates . LOL.
    Dont get hurt. Take care of that old horse.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't even seen weather report in my area so I aint sure what if anything is coming my way. First thing I do everyday is step outside and check it out. Its been hot here. Yesterday I was wearing a Tee shirt, ac going in truck. This morning I got up, walked outside in my boxers. Bad mistake. It is raining hard and temps are dropping. I'll check weather report as soon as I get back from town. I got to stock up on beer and smokes. Just in case the bad stuff is coming my way. I also need to fill propane bottles. I got wood for the wood stove on back porch.
    After yesterday shopping I have had enough of trying to look, buy, check out and drive in the mess of people. I left and didn't spend a dime. LOL.
    If ice does hit here, I couldn't ask for better luck. No more shopping.
    I best be careful for what I wish for. Things seem to bite me in the butt sometimes. The ice will surely cost me something if and when it comes this way. LOL.

Anyway. Stay safe.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    glad to here from you john.stay warm and be careful.aint nothing good bout ice in the lower 48 but if you lose power do like i did last year.just open the freezer door and you want lose your meat.ooooops just make sure the freezer is out side.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    THEY CANCILED SCHOOL HERE AGAIN TODAY....WE WENT TO MY UNCS TO CLEAN A SMALL DOE WE HAD GIVEN TO US AND HUNG....SHE WAS NICE AND FROZE AND FAT AS ALL GET OUT,HAD MORE FAT ON HER THEN THEM BUCKS.SHE WAS ALMOST NOT WORTH GIONG TO GET....BEETLE MAN THINK YER RIGHT AND YOU BE CAREFUL YOU HEAR....I HATE THIS STUFF,WE GOT IT HERE BUT I THINK YOU GOT IT WORSE.....JUST AINT NICE OUT.

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i feel for ya, John. we had a little ice spat a few days ago..i am finally back online. wasn't too cold, just a nasty little ice dump.

thankfully, it's supposed to reach 40 tomorrow...that should dry things up some before the snowstorm coming in friday:eek:oooh:

we are gonna get some chilly temps this weekend to make up for it:sad2:

y'all stay warm and dry out there:big_smile:

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Bummer John,We managed to Dodge the Bullet here in Council Bluffs only about 1/4 in Ice and You Folks were Hit Hard!!! My thoughts are with all of You folks.If You Need any Help Just Holler and I'll fire up the 4 wheeler and throw the chain saws in the back can come get Ya out,and I'll bring Plenty of Scotch and Crown. J.D.
    :wink:

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    John if it wasn't such a long drive I would show up with a case of good scotch.:too_sad:

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Tomorrow I get to deal with the NorEaster on my day off. I was going to go hunting with a coworker after my yearly check up in the morning. I'd still go out if it were only snow. But they want ice & freezing rain along with the snow. This bites. Everyone try to be safe, dont go out unless you need to & if you do, take a bag of sand and a shovel to help get unstuck should you get stuck.

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Beetleman it is THIRSTY THUSDAY! get in good graces,snugle and have one cause it is gettin better here and on yer way I hope..Ice is melting and I think we reached 37 or so give er take cause I was celebrating thursday:wink: But it is now alot beter and on your way....Dont call me I will call you!