Scorpions

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by catman73, Aug 22, 2007.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    So am I the last to kow that we actually have Scorpions in Kansas?? I was fishing at Lonestar lake in Lawrence Kansas when I felt something like a bite on my leg. I brushed it off and went to look and see what it had been because it hurt pretty bad. On the ground was scorpion. I did not realize that we had them here in Kansas. I was with some friends and one of them saw it and was thinking enough to grab a container that we had there and scoop it up before it made the getaway. The area of the sting looked about like a bug bite and went away fairly fast. However I didn't feel well Sunday or Monday. Just coincidence I am sure but it kind of bothered me. I will try to post a pic of him on here later today if he is still alive.

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    There are scorpions in almost every state. I have found them under the bark of fire logs from Maine to Florida. Just like black widow spiders, they are around but most people don't know what to look for...till they get ya...:beated:

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

its a first for me too. i have never seen one in kansas.they used to get in the house all the time when i was a kid liveing in az.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Seen a couple as a kid in SE KS, but that's the first one I've heard of around here. Sorry for your pain, but it is neat. You keeping it as a "pet"?

5. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    actually was just keeping it in case I got sick from it. I didnt know that we had them here. And when the Poison control people were told that it was a scorpion they said :Are you sure it was scorpion??" So I guess I am glad that I did keep it.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Always remember to check yer boots before you put em on.
    And your pants too! :eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

7. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I work for a logistics/shipping company, and have seen many weird animals, including tarantulas and scorpions inside shipping containers. I am assuming that is how alot of those little buggers get around.

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    How big was it?

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Underwear for sure....:eek:oooh:

10. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I got him out and took a pic of it. He has since died but for what ever morbid reason I haven't got rid of it.

Attached Files:

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    That's a little wood scorpion. They are all over the USA. Stings pretty good but only a health issue if you have allergies.

12. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Would crapping your pants when you see him be considered a health risk? :smile2:

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol only if your pant's where wrapped around your head:eek:oooh:

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's a little wood scorpion. They are all over the USA. Stings pretty good but only a health issue if you have allergies.

Looks more like one of those BIG MEAN SCORPIONS to me (IMHO)

15. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    that was a little baby, with a big stinger:wink:

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    When I was young we lived on lake Pomme De Terre in Missouri. They were all over there. Almost an every day occurrence that one would be in the house. Most of the time they would be in the bathtub. Pretty big suckers too. But Maybe that was because I was little they looked big:crazy:??

I have never seen one in Kansas though. That is interesting.

17. Kanopolis seems to be pretty well stocked with them as well. In fall if you lift up some of the limestone around there it won't take long for you to find one.

18. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    for what it's worth...

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Oh darrin he is such a cute little fella. :smile2:

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We use to find them in our laundry after drying on the line. Getting hit in the neck isn't fun. I've taken down wooden fences/posts that had literary 100's of them nested up with their babies. We also would find dead dried up ones around the house. I've only seen a handful here in S.C....and that's fine with me.