Scorpions in illinois???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, Nov 13, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well last week i was splitting wood in illinois. splitting an apple tree my neighbor let me cut up this summer im using for smoking wood. well believe it or not i found a scorpion. yep. in illinois. it only lacks the stinger.

a pic is below. well i found out exactly what it is. ill let ya all wonder for a bit. check this out. this is no joke. i live in central illinois. see if ya all can figure it out. im 32 and have lived here all my life and never seen one of these till now.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have seen a few of those back in SC. it wasnt until i went to Kuwait and Afghanistan that i found out what a REAL scorpion was. Nasty creatures that like to find their way into your boots and rack in the middle of the night.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. they are in sc too. i went to arizona 12 years ago. i went out at night scorpion hunting. we caught a bunch of hary desert scorpions. there not to bad. its the little bark scorpions that are 1/2" that will mess up your world.

in afganistan they have some real dreadly ones as well as common ones.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    yeah the ones in the Stan and in Iraq will put you in a bad way. we find a bunch of the hairy ones out here as well as Wind Scorpions and Camel spiders. i will see if i can find a picture of the camel spiders and put on here.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    here you go. we used to fight these things. i have seen them take down scorpions, tarantulas, mice, and small birds. they are fast too. they can run as fast as you and me and get about as big as a small dinner plate.

Attached Files:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya those wind scorpions were one i looked up to see if this could be one. they dont look nothing like a true scorpion.

those camel spiders were nasty looking. i seen one one time. a pic that is.

7. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I did some searching around... and also found out exactly what it was. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a very fair fight if one had to go up against a Camel Spider. (LOL!!!)

From what I read about you scorpion, it's a good bug to have living in your home!

Thanks for sharing this picture and making me learn something today.

T.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Just a harmless bug that takes out some insects. Fat body and no stinger... that's a pseudoscorpion. No?

Frightening critter to stumble across all the same when not expecting it.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Some common Camel Spider Myths:
    1. Camel spiders can move at speeds over 30 MPH, screaming while they run.
    2. Camel spiders can be as large as a frisbee.
    3. Camel spiders venom is an anesthetic that numbs their prey.
    4. Camel spiders can jump three feet high.
    5. Camel spiders get there name because they eat the stomachs of camels.
    6. Send us your myths for inclusion here...

THE FACTS

Most of these claims are false or greatly exaggerated.
    1. Camel spiders top speed - 10 mph.
    2. Size: Up to 6 inches
    3. They have no venom.
    4. They don't jump.
    5. Called camel spiders because they live in the desert.

Source sited: http://www.camelspiders.net/

10. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i will admit that those facts are all true but i will tell you they can move faster than 10 mph. and i have seen them bigger than my hand, which is a tad bit bigger than 6 inches. but no they are not poisonous, and they dont jump 3 feet high, they do kind of hop and will scare the crap out of you in the middle of the night. they stand on thier back legs and raise their front legs and look like something out of a comic book gone wrong. i have a picture somewhere of one on top of a playing card and it made the card look like a matchbook.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looks like a vinagaroon ta me,minus the spray straw

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    AR has plentiful supply of real stinging scorpions. And they do smart when stepped on!! :eek:oooh:
    We have a farm that we go to every few weeks. I spray inside the house couple times a year. On each trip always find 3 to 6 dead scorpions in the floor. I've seen dead ones in the light fixture covers.
    But never seen one here at Hot Springs in 13 years.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    correct. a psudoscorpion. also known as a false scorpion and book scorpions. truth is there closer related to spiders than scorpions. and it was only 1/8th of an inch long. thats a blown up picture. i thought it was a tick at first glance so i looked real close. i noticed the pinchers and was freaked out. guess i just never ran across one before cuze there so small. pretty cool.

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Missouri has scorpions. Illinois probably does to in the southern parts...if there are glades there. Here, they are commonly called "stinging lizards". I don't know why, because they are in no way related to lizards. My uncle got stung by one in Branson a long time ago. He screemed real loud, so I assume they hurt pretty bad.:crazy:

Yup, according to this link, extreme SW Illinois has true scorpions just like Mo.:confused2:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2441

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I too was very surprised when a friend of mine caught a scorpion a few years ago in some cliffs just a couple miles from where I was raised, was there most my life and never knew they existed (well neither did anyone else I knew). It made the front page headlines in our local newspaper.

It's called a southern devil scorpion:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/relatives/scorpions/scorpion.htm#devil

16. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Interesting, very interesting.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i did a search first for illinois scorpions and found out tha around the osarks area of missouri and into southern il there are true scorpions, the plains scorion.

the one i found said its commonly found in leaves around and under rocks and in tree hollows, (exactly where i found it) and can enter homes on firewood, lol whitch was what i was splitting. seems there are actually good bugs though. eat moth larva and mites and such.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, I have a good memory sometimes. Why does it fail me so much at others?

Found this on your link kyredneck. Interresting.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MYTHS - LEGENDS - FOLKLORE[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Small scorpions (like the southern devil scorpion) found in the Southeastern United States are sometimes called "stinging lizards." Strangely, the broad-headed skink, a common lizard found in the Southeastern U.S., is often called a "scorpion." Coincidence?[/FONT]