SCORE! (I love EBAY)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Jan 25, 2010.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've been shopping for a couple of baitrunner type spinning reels for the two 8ft Cat Maxx spinning rods I bought last week. I think that I've checked out every bait runner type reel from Daiwa, Penn, TICA, Okuma, Shimano, Quantum, and the "off" brands on ebay. I wanted to keep it under $100 each, preferably around $75 or so.

I'd about given up trying to find a couple of Shimano 4500's for a decent price (all I could find was $140 each!) and had decided to buy a couple of Okuma's, the Avenger, Coronado, or the Epixor. I thought hard about the TICA's, they looked good, but I've heard nightmare stories about their service dept, so I decided to steer clear of them. The new Shimano's are WAY too expensive. They look great, but $160 +, NO WAY. :laugh1:

I decided to check ebay ONE last time.... WHAM!!! I scored TWO of the Shimano 4500B's, new in the box, for $84 each. Oh yeah. :party:

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana

3. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good score , I have also gotten some great deals off ebay on reels and tackle.
    You'll love those 4500B's , much better than the older A models. I have 2 of the 3500B's and 2 of the 4500B's...plus a pair of the Thunnus 6000's. The baitrunner is the only way to go man and Shimano is the best.

Scott

4. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I had a couple years before, I think that they were the 4500A model. I loved those too. I was young, I needed money, hey everybody will buy Shimano Baitrunners, OK I'll sell them. You know how it goes. I wish I still had all of the GOOD gear I have sold over the years. I'd be rich in fishing gear, almost like a fishing 401k fund.

5. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "I wish I still had all of the GOOD gear I have sold over the years'..hahahaha I wouldnt have any room to move around and would have to rent a full sized garage storage unit to store most of it..geez.

Yea the older A series was a workhorse , but I always hated the slop in the rotor and non-instant anti-reverse. The B series was a very welcome upgrade. If you ever get the chance while in a Bass Pro shops (if its a good one) check out the shimano thunnus reels....they are the best shimano puts out here in North America as far as baitrunner reels go.

Scott

6. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    For me, IAR is almost a requirement in a spinning reel. I've still got a couple of older ones that don't have it, but they have multiple point AR so the slop isn't too bad. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, since with cats, I'm not continually retrieving line and casting, etc.

In casting reels, I'll take it either way, but I don't even have any casting reels right now, unless you consider a lever drag Ocean Master 25 a casting reel. Since it holds 600yds of 30lb mono, I consider it a trolling reel. That was an ebay score too. Barely used and $25 shipped.

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah you can really get some good deals on ebay. I've been lookin for a couple of new reels on there myself. Hope I can find a deal like you did. congrats bro

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good things come to those who wait.

BB

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I'm going to hold you to that in about 4 weeks! I'm waiting for SANTEE and going CRAZY while doing it!

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thats a great deal Chris, thats where I got my wifes 4500b shimanos you can get some great deals on e-bay.

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Looks like there's to more up for sale on Ebay.Also the 6500B fo$89.Hurry up and get them quick.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris congrats on the great find. They will sere you well. It pays to look and look some more, for the good buys.

13. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    The reels showed up today! The reels showed up today! Ha ha.:Happy:

They are SWEET. Now I'm going to cast around (pun intended) and see if I can come up with a couple of spare spools for them.

14. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I spent last weekend bidding on "fishing reel lots" on ebay. I got twenty-one reels for around $100 plus about $50 shipping. Only three reels so far don't work and they are name brand reels I can order parts for. The fun part is setting it up so ebay shows the bids ending soonest first, then watching the countdown and people trying to beat each other. If you look at the site in the middle of the night like I do at work, all the fishing stuff is from the other side of the world and stuff I never heard of before, and every other item is a "fishing pen."