Scope zeroing funny...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BLKCLOUD, Dec 13, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    A buddy of mine runs a "new ford" junkyard as I call it..I'm sure there is a more proper name for it but thats what I call it, he buys new ford trucks that have been wrecked and rebuilds them and or sells the parts...He bought his son a new 300 wsm and they were sighting the gun it, I have yet to figure out why some people dont use bore sighters but thats another story..they put a target on the side of a really wrecked bed and fired a couple of shots..way off maybe 2 feet at 100 yards..well the buddy adjusts the scope..the "wrong way" and his son takes aim and shoots a big whoppin hole right through the left and right fender of a brand new bed that was sitting besides the old bed :smile2::smile2: no telling what that will cost..more than a bore sighter would!!!hahahaha

2. catmandu1962

catmandu1962 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats a good story, i would have lmao if i'd ben there.lol

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Dangerous but funny. :smile2: Thanks for sharing the laugh. Did he take it and have it bore sighted or did he continue to shoot everything else in the junkyard? :smile2::sad2::smile2::sad2::smile2::sad2::roll_eyes:

thanks
    David

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Everyone see the movie days of thunder ? my remake of a scene would go like this."Ok next time you load up i want you to shoot the pace care!'' "shoot the pace car?Why?" "because you have shot everything else out there i just wanted you to be perfect!" LOL!:smile2:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bore sighter? NAH! Waste of $$$ IMO.

I had some problems with my rifle that I bought last winter. It came with a certificate that insured that the rifle had been bore sighted from the factory. Much to my dismay, and a box of shells later, it was very apparent that it had not been bore sighted.

The remedy? I built a benchrest out of a cardboard box with a 'V' shape cut in each end to cradle the gun. Placed the gun in the rest, removed the bolt, and peered down the barrell at a mailbox about 50 yards away. I put one of the numbers as center as possible within the barrell, then looked through the scope...WAY off. I then centered the crosshairs on the number, and double, and triple checked to insure the objective was still in line with the barrell, and the scope.

When I went back to the range, the first shot was less than 1/2" from center at 50 yards. A minor adjustment, then another at 100 yards, and within 5 rounds, I was hitting dead on.

In retrospect, and in the future, I will just bore sight on an inanimate object at 50 yards on any new gun that I aquire. I truely believe that a bore sighter is unnecessary if sighting in a bolt action. The same can be done at the range with a paper target. Wish I woulda known that ahead of time.

I came about this idea when I wanted to borrow a local gun dealer's bore sighter. He said not to waste the time and money, and told me to do this, and it worked like a charm.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Our gunsmith used to actually use a transformer on a telephone pole that was about 75 yards away..I have always had good luck with my boresighter, of the 100 or so I have sighted in with it all have been on the paper when test fired."cept my .223:smile2::smile2:

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If your scope is good enough, just pop off a round and then move your cross hairs to the hole. Done.

Of course this presupposes your rifle is stable in the rest and little wind.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another way to boresight a bolt action without any equipment, right in your livingroom, is to put two dots on a sheet of paper. One dot should be about 1-1/2" above the other dot. Secure your rifle to where it can't move, and remove the bolt. The cardboard box rest will do, or anything to insure the rifle is steady. Peer down the bore, and center the bottom dot in the barrell, and zero the scope to the top dot. This will work well for most conventional bolt action rifles, and will get you on the paper.

I just thought that this might be useful info for the uninformed like I was. I do have a bore-sighter(cheap grid type), and use it on automatics. I'm not against them or anything, it's just that it's not rocket science. There's alot of bore-sighters on the market, and kinda like fishing lures...they are intending to part you from your cash. Marksmen have been hitting targets out 1000 yards, and beyond for how long? I always wanted a fancy laser bore-sighting kit 'till I figured out that it would not improve my shooting, or even simplify the process of sighting in my guns.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is how I've always bore sighted my rifles and has worked 100% of the time. I haven't had to spend money on a bore sighter that I could use on something else.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is a neat variation on the way I've always bore sighted my rifles. I'm gonna have to try this one. Thanks.

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i have a great story about sighting in a muzzleloader. happened the otherday actually, was sightin in my knight and after 3 or 4 shots i was getting relaxed and i need one little adjustment and i woulda been dead nuts. but i shot and whack, the gun wasnt on my shoulder good enough adn now my nose is broke. first time and the last time i got to relaxed with a scoped rifle. hurt pretty bad but its fine now. just a little sore if i bump it to hard. second time in a year my nose has been broke:smile2:

12. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    kinda sounds like my buddy, he bought a weatherby 340 mag for elk hunting in colorado, he went out to sight it in and was shooting from his garage, finally got it on and he looked across the barnyard and saw an old pushmower setting beside his chicken coop so he couldnt resist, so he shot it and it flipped up and over , his friend thought it was pretty cool so he took a shot at it also, which resulted in a small explosion and fire as the first shot had ruptured the gas tank, the fuel had run under the chicken coop with all the rain and they had a hard time getting it out, ( he was a vol fireman at the time lol ) and was glad they didnt have to call the dept out

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas

That's a funny story. Could of been dangerous but funny.

Before deer season started a friend of mine sent me an e-mail complete with pictures of a guy who bought a new deer rifle. He took it out to a target range to sight it in. He put in a laser bore sighter first and sighted it in. Then put a shell in and shot it. He forgot to take the bore sighter out of the end of the barrel and bananna peeled the barrel all the way back to the stock. Messed up the guy pretty bad too. Had to call an ambulance for him. So, what I am saying is be extremely careful when using bore sights.

I've never used a bore sighter. Just used looked down the barrel like prescribed before. Or if at night, sometimes I would set up my gun on the inside of the house, tape thread over the end of the barrel in a cross hairs fashion and line up the cross hairs of the scope with the cross hairs on the barrel. This method will get you on paper real well also.

If sighting in an automatic and you don't have a bore sighter use a line level.
    block your gun up at ten to twenty yards and tape a piece of string to the top center of the barrel. use a level and make sure the barrel is level then use a line level and keep the string level carrying down to your target. Keep the string level and mark the spot where your string touches the target. The windage you will just have to eyeball if its straight but windage is easier to tell if it is straight to the human eye than up and down is. Adjust your scope to the target. Then when you get to actually shoot it on paper start at twenty five yards.