Scope or Not

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 26, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How many use a scope on their muzzle loaders? What power and brand?

We hunt mainly in woods on trails out of blinds. We use 2x leopould fix power. Most shots are under 50 yards.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I currently dont have a scope on my muzzle loader but, i plan on getting an inline. I think a scope is the way to go and a leupold is a good choice.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I really hate what blackpowder season has become.

What was once a primitive arms season that required pretty savvy shooters has morphed into just another high tech exercise, that really doesn't differ all that much from the modern firearms season. I cringe when I hear people talking about lobbing lead 150 yards, and more.

That said, it shames me to admit, I followed the crowd. My T/C Omega wears a 2.5x Leupold.:embarassed:

I rationalized this with the argument that I owed it to the deer to shoot as accurately as I possibly could. The reality is, I could obtain the same accuracy by shooting my old iron-sighted side hammer gun more.

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Burris 1 3/4 X 5 scope on a CVA Mag Hunter .45 Cal.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can't see the sights anymore without a scope. I shoot Thompson Encore 50 caliber with a Leupold 1 3/4 - 5 power. Shoots as good as me. I don't shoot deer at 150 yards. I shoot in the woods from tree stands. 50 yards is a long shot.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am on the fence about what it has become. When I started muzzle loading way back when with the old squirrel rifle that shot round balls I seen a lot of deer crippled, ran away to die later, and etc. But the same can happen today if people dont know their muzzys limits and their own limits. I must admit 3 years ago I saw a huge buck I was sitting in a blind with a firm rest and touched it off. The deer hunched up and I headed for house to get my son. We had a great blood trail but to our dismay it crossed our fence line on to my neighbors, we proceeded to track the deer leaving our weapons on our fence line. About a 100 yards over on my neighbors "my" deer was being loaded into the back of a pickup. I said hay that's my deer and they replied was your deer we tagged it. There were 8 of them and just me and my 15 year old and it was not worth a confrontation. I told them enjoy!! And my son and I retreated back to our property. My son ask me why I didnt put up a fight. I told him no deer was worth his life and mine. And what goes around comes around. To this day when him and I are sitting around deer camp he looks at me and says "We should of kicked their ass and took our deer back" Then he laughs saying just kidding.

7. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I use a 4x Leupold on a Remington 700 ML. I use the scope mainly to pick up more light just as it gets dark.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Early Muzzle season got changed to the peak of the rut here a few years ago, so, against my better judgment, I got a Ruger 77/50, with a T/C Hunter 3x9 on top. My Hawken has been a great gun and a lot of fun to hunt with, but it only shoots round balls well and is limited to 100 yards or less. The Ruger shoots anything well and will easily reach out there 250 yards, if need be. I use the Ruger for early season and the Hawken for late season, (end of December).