Scope Mounting

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by randallewis, Oct 9, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I'm mounting a Leupold scope / Leupold rings on a Rem 742. The vertical adj. maxs out on upward adj and its still 10 inches low at 25 yds. I need to shim the back ring. Do I need brass shim stock or will electrical tape work as well?

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Go with the brass, I don't think the tape would suffice for very long..

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I had a friend say a strip from an aluminum coke can would work. Any thoughts?

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    They would work just fine also.. plus you can cut them with a pair of scissors..

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    hI fOLKS
    SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT, you should be able to tune it in easyer than that, check the scope and use brass if you have too.:roll_eyes:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i agrre with chambers. i think maybe you have the wrong rings for that scope or that something else is amiss. you can use a coke can or shims, but i would recommend calling leopold and asking them what they would suggest.

7. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Its a new VX-III out of the box. I tried another scope and had the same results. I think its in the base and I am using high rings but they are Leupold also.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i definately think there may be something amiss with your scope mounts. maybe try a diffrent set and see what you can come up with.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have had this same problem in the past,I made a shim from a piece of plastic from a soda bottle, been holding zero for 15 yrs.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Why take a chance with a homemade remedy? Shims are like a buck. You want to take a chance to miss a buck of a lifetime over a buck? (no pun intended):big_smile:

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You better go with real shims,if not theres a good chance the others will work themselves lose while shooting and it will be all for nothing.the real shims will fit nice and tight and wont move and bend like a soda can will.but thats just my opinion.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You would think that spending the extra dough for a nice scope/mounts, you should't have to jerry rig it to get it to work. I would be disappointed. 10 inches is alot, I think, for it to be low at 100 yards. Me, personally, I would either return the whole outfit, and try another, or consult a professional. I don't think that a shim is going to correct 10 inches. That's 40 clicks if it's 1/4" MOA, and 80 if it's 1/8" MOA. Even if you get it zeroed at 100 yards, what's after that? You still have no more vertical adjustment, and I think your trajectory will be off beyond that. I wouldn't waste my time on a cheap fix for a top 'o' the line piece of optics. I'm not a fan of high mounts either. You may feel differently, but with the scope higher above the barrell, any tilt in the gun when firing it will be exagerated down field.

These are my opinions, and I'm not an expert by any stretch of the immagination.

13. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I bought a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14x50 at a sporting goods store that was going out of business. They had a 40% mark down. I didn't realize at the time I would have to use high mounts. The base and rings are new Leupold. I can't return anything. I'm going to run the vertical adj. up and down a few times and see if that helps. Then maybe a gunsmith.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is a real common occurance. Shimming is used all the time. I've got one I also had to shim. I used the coke can as it's the correct thickness and didn't have the time to wait for one to come from brownell's. However, alot of people will put the shim inside the scope ring. I put mine between the base and the rifle. I had to cut and shape it, then drill the holes in the right place. It's there for good, and won't slip out from between the ring and scope as could happen under heavy recoil.

Don't worry about the need to shim though, some scopes have surprising little verticle adjustment to make up for how the scope lays in the rings on a particular brand.

15. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    You repeated exactly what a gunsmith Henry Martin told me this morning. Never shim in the rings always between the base and the gun. He uses plastic business cards like the ones with a calender on them for shim stock. He said coke cans are ok except they are generally to thin for much adjustment. He said Leupold scopes have very little vertical adjustment.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have just enough verticle adjustment in my leupold, but had to shim my redfield. They seem to have even less!