Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

scope for lite weight mtn gun

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Francosonny1120 
#1 ·
as some of you know i use my boat to access remote areas to hunt in the mtns. i have been using a marlin 45-70 guide gun with a leupold 2.5-8 scope. that gun getts heavy when i usually hike 400-1000 foot of elevation above the lake to hunt. so i recently bought a ruger 77/44 carbine chambered in 44 magnum to shave a few pounds off my load. i want a low powered scope for this rifle. i am looking at the leupold vx 3 1.5-5x20 the vx5 1-5x24 and the trijicon 1-4x24 accupoint. do any of yall have any experience with these scopes or similar models that you could suggest? i want a max of 1.5 on the low end for running hogs. any input would be appreciated. open to other suggestions as well. low light performance is also a big concern. thanks

#3 ·
I like old skool 4x. I have a sweet redfield that I sent off to be redone and a couple old wire reticle Weavers that have some have some discoloration around the edges of the lenses but they still hold zero. When I had alot of guns I bought two Bushnell 4x circle reticle for $39.95 and they were lights out.

Reactions: D schuerenberg
#4 ·
thanks for the responses, i did not expect to get any very quick. i am still considering a 2.5-8 vx3 for that gun due to performance in low light. i have never had the small 24mm scopes and dint know how they perform in the dark. i use the 4x32 scopes on some of my squirrel guns. like them alot very quick pointing and simple. thanks for your input guys.

#10 ·
I actually have a 2 3/4? Redfield I bought ten years or more ago and have never mounted it on anything. It has a straight tube on the end.

Reactions: chadinsc
#12 · (Edited)
I also have a Marlin 1895 Custom Shop 45-70, but my scope is a Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Scout. I had a problem similar to yours and the thing that helped me the most was purchasing a torque wrench, as my scope wasn't mounted well. I used a website that recommends the top of the best torque wrenches, ballachy.com, and it helped a lot in finding the right fit for me. I ended up getting the Scope Mounting Kit Combo, as I saw it was the Editor's Choice, so it must've been good (which it really is). There are still a lot of great, more affordable choices if you're not ready to invest in something like this yet. Anyways, you do you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.