Scope for Deer Hunting Shotgun

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Skunk River Cat, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First, do any of you have a scope mounted on a shotgun for deer hunting?
    I have a Leop. scope on my 30.06 when I was living in Texas. Now, my wife and I have moved back to Iowa where I'm from and we can't use high powered rifles for deer. So I'm wondering if ya'll have a scope on a shotgun or is it a stupid idea. I have never seen a scope on a shotgun in all my years. Why or Why not?

Thanks,

P.S. The shotgun I'd be using to mount the scope on would only be used for deer hunting, not wing shooting or bird hunting.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont have one personally,Hal .But If I were limited to hunting deer with a shotgun ,YES I would ,I saw a slug gun by N E F this past wknd at wally world as a package deal 12 ga and 3x9 bushnell . by all means : git er done

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i hunt in the woods so i dont use a scope. if i was to put one on mine i think i would go with a cantilever mount. its mounted to the barrel instead of reciever. that way the scope stays sighted in while you use the shot barrel.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have scopes on both of my mossberg slug barrels they are only 2 power cheapies. I think they are more of a confidence booster for my aging eyes.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Been thinkin about this myself, got a mossberg 500 with the slugster barrel, would like to upgrade to a rifled barrel, some of those have a scope mount on them, a rail type scope mount. They are in the neighborhood of $140-$160

Aaron

TA2D

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    2.5 Busnell Sportview about 60.00 dollars, plus set of weaver steel rings for another 25.00. Mounted on a cantalivered barreled 1100 and Loctited.
    Our timber is thick stuff and with my tired old eyes it makes picking a hole thru the brush lots easier for me.
    Our parcel is close to private property and we need them to stay right where we shoot them.
    The scope gives me confidence on shot placement and helps with those low light "good times" as well.

Good optics help us be responsible and Good neighbors.

Good luck and get after them.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Realistically, a scope doesn't make you shoot better, but does make you see more clearly. The biggest advantage of the scope is that it will draw in more light at dusk and dawn were alot of people with open sights will not have a shot as they cannot see the sights. A scope on a shotgun is very practical for this reason. If it's a good scope that draws in good light, it might add close to an hour total (half hour moring and evening) to your hunting day. I'd use the low power shotgun scopes since they're like open sights with a crosshair on the lowest power. I'd say a weaver 1-3, or the bushnell trophy 1.5-4.5, those are the two I've got quite a bit of experience with.

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I know how you feel about not being able to use rifles for deer, 'cause its the same way here. You see a lot of scopes on slug guns here. A lot of this has to do with what other people here have already touched on, and thats the collection of light at low light times. Makes it easier to shoot that big buck right at legal shooting time in the morning. Also, a lot of people feel more confident, or just plain shoot better with a scope becuase they dont have to worry about lining up those open sights just right. You just put the crosshairs where you want them and squeeze the trigger. So i would say No, its not a stupid idea. If i had more than one shotgun, or had a cantaleiver bbl for mine, i would think about a scope.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Nikon has a scope for blackpowder rifles that should do the trick. I have been thinking about getting one for my Mossberg 590 since its tapped for one. Good luck in your search.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Do any of the shotgun only states allow muzzleloaders as an option during the modern firearms seasons? Seems like that would be a reasonable thing to me, and if I had to choose, I'd take my Omega over a slug gun, hands down.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I put a scope on mine this year and i'm hoping to see some improvement.

Yes, here in IL. we are a rifleless state and we are allowed to use muzzleloaders.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    In Indiana ya can use a muzzleloader during the firearms season & I agree. My Omega outshoots any slug gun I've tried. Got to be the rifle, I'm not that good a shot.

13. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have one on my Rem 870 it is a 3X9 cheap tasco. Now keep in mind that my 870 is a smooth bore but I can place 6 shots in 3 inch circle at 100 yrds. Now I also have a hunting buddy that has a Rem 1100 and he has a Luepold scope on it. With a rifled barrel he has 2.5 inch groups at 125 yds with a rifled barrel. I would say diffently worth the added expense

14. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Yes, in Maryland we are allowed to use muzzleloaders during shotgun season. You could even use a bow if you wanted, but if you ask me, that's a step down from the shotgun. Some people like more of a challenge I guess. Where I hunt I cant see more than 70 yards anyway, so i prefer the shotgun, so i have more than 1 shot should more deer present themselves.

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    If you want a clear shot gun scope that is waterproof, fogproof and shockproof. Look at the Cabelas Pine Ridge shotgun scopes. I had a gun dealer compare mine to a Leica, on my 270win, for its clear optics.

16. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use a Pietro Baretta..But i have never put a scope on it..if i did i would mount it on the barrel instead of reciever.that way it is alway sighted in.but i have heard that it isn't the best idea to put a scope on cas u have problems seein the deer..but i would pry try it if i hunted long range..:wink:

17. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    If the range is close(>100yds), you could try a Red dot sight.
    As soon as I get another Mossberg 835, a Red dot is going on top.

:004:

18. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Mine is a Bushnell 3X9X32 and worked very well for me this year as I was able to tag out! :smile2:

19. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    I have a mossberg 835 ultimag with a rifled barrel and ported. We put a nikon shot gun scope on it and it is the greatest gun ever for a shotgun.In fact I leave it at my brothers in Iowa. I think he thinks it his buy know as many deer as he has shot with it. Also my niece has one she was just pointing and shooting. With the scope she has gotten her deer every year. This year she got hers opening morning by 7:55 out of my stand. We also like light feld slugs if you have a rifled barrel. Good Hunting

20. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Just be careful with the red dots, from what i hear, some of them make it hard to see what you're shooting at when its dark (early morning, late evening).