scope for 22 target pistol?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by derbycitycatman, Sep 10, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    The pistol is a Ruger 22/45 MKIII and Im thinking of putting a scope on her. Im thinking of a leupold 4x fixed scope. With it being on a pistol do I need a pistol scope or is there any difference on something like that. Does anyone else have one of these pistols and what scope if any do you have on it?

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have the older Ruger Mark II with 5 1/2" bull barrel.

I just put one of the 30mm red-dot scopes on it. It works great for squirrel hunting and plinking around.

If you want to go with a standard magnification cross-hair scope, yes you will need to get a pistol scope becasue you have to deal with the long eye relief.

I thought the regular scope was OK for paper target shooting, but for me it took way to long to get set for hunting.

The beauty of the red-dot scope is if you see the dot that is where the bullet is going.

Those Ruger 22's are good guns:smile2:

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I would go with a red dot. I have one and I love it.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    what brand and type have you had good lluck with (red dot)
    Thanks
    Jim

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    BSA makes a line of red dots. They are inexpensive and work well. I have a friend that has had a 50mm BSA red dot on a Browning Buckmark for about 4 years and he loves it. I think he paid around $50 for it. If you want to step up a bit you can get an AImpoint for about 2 to 3 times what the BSA costs. Top of the line in red dot is the Trijicon. They will cost you $400 and up.