Scissors for cut bait

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by special liberty, Jan 14, 2007.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I recently picked up a pair of the Cabelas "sea sissors" - IMHO they are the $hit for cutting up cut bait. I don't fillet the sides off, I just chunk perch/croaker/shad and it is so much easier using sissors than a knife. A offshore fisherman friend of mine turned me onto the idea, I tried it, it works great and I thought I'ld pass it along.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A good pair of poultry shears made for the kitchen work great.The half moon section of blade made to cut bone is often handy for cutting many things.Also some of these industrial grade cut anything shears.They are often cheaper and have stood up for years in my fresh and saltwater fishing.Just make sure that they are Stainless Steel.They are great for trimming the tails of large bait that may swim into cover and tangle you up.You can even throw them in the dishwasher.Lube them with spray cooking oil such as "Pam". I have some that I have had for many years.I think it is great that someone is finely making a decent pair stickily for fishing use.Thanks for telling us.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Fiskers, also Gerber (one and the same company) make good scissors, get the size you need, buy the cheap ones, they work just as well. For braided line, I use the $1.88 children's Fiskars scissors, blunt nose so they don't poke a hole in my life vest pocket where I keep them. Also been known to cut bait fish up to 5" with them.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Thanks For The Info. Tawn, Good Idea. How Much Are Those Cabela's Scissors ?

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Excellent info - I never thought of using scissors - thanks.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the tip Taun ive never thought about using them for that before

7. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    $14 plus S & H from Cabelas. I would have never thought of it either. My friend uses them chunking his bait for tuna. I took him out the other day and showed him the dark side - catfishing - and as I was trying to cut my fingers off cutting bait with a dull knife he told me to try it - works great. Used my wifes sewing sissors till I got caught, then I had to buy two new sissors, one for me and one to replace hers - some thing about perch guts!?!

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm gunna have to try some out, My buddy @ the bait shop will give me a pair:smile2: .

The've been selling them for quite awhile but I just thought it was another fad or gimmick:roll_eyes:

9. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    I have been using scissors for the last 8 Years. I could never go back to a knife. I know everybody is different. But To Me that is the way to go

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use the pruning shears from wally world, the ones with the orange handles that look like a pair of scissors and they're really sharpe. They are stainless steel and have a notch in the blade that holds the bait as you cut it. They sell for around $8.00.

11. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    great idea,thanks for the tip.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You all must use some small bait if scissors work for cutting it up.

13. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    thats awsome now i dont have to try to hold those slimy eels when i cut there tails off. Thanks for the tip.

14. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Crazy - I'm using 8-10 inch shad/perch/croaker - they are large sissors

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I cut up large shad an bluegill. I think you could cut any size bait you want to use with these scissors. I've cut chunks out of 2lb carp with'em.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    When you chunk a 20lb carp let me know..... tell then your not really using that big of bait.

17. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    when i was on a trip with a stripper guide he would throw his old shad in a little bucket and go to town with the sissors and cut they up into little bits and start chumming with them.

18. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    ????????????????????????????

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Black and white newspaper use to be great for holding Eels unless they have changed it.You could grip them with newspaper in your hand.Do not try to hold them with your teeth.Yea! I once saw a "good ol boy" try it on a bet for a 12 pack.He got slimed out,plus lost all he had eaten and drank all day.It appeared to have been a very sobering experience.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    your not using the whole 20 pound carp. when you say big bait talk about what you use to catch fish with. dont matter how big it is until its got a hook through it. its just what he uses, why get all smart about it and act like your using a bigger better bait. bluegill and perch are a great size for scissors, carp on the otherhand are better cut up with a big knife. its all cut bait no matter what you cut it with weather your using nail clippers or a 90 pound jackhammer. makes me wanna go and get a video of me cuttin up a state record carp with scissors just for you.