Scioto VS Muskingum Rivers

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Joey6500, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow.Those seem to be 2 completely different fisheries.I read a lot of posts about Scioto and a lot of Flatheads seem to be taken during the day and on cut bait.I fish the Muskingum mostly and I have only caught a handfull of small flatheads on cutbait.And catching a Flathead in the Muskingum before 8 o'clock is verrrrrrry rare for me.Let me know your opinions:wink:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree bro. I have caught a few big flatheads on the Muskingum during the daytime, but almost all of mine over the years have came after dark, or early morning before daylight. I have caught some decent fish on cuts, but pretty much all the big flats have came on livebait. If a man fished nothing but cuts on the northern half of the Muskingum, he would probably set a world record for most channel cats caught in one year!:smile2: The only thing I can say is they are two different systems, with their own qualities making them both unique in their own ways.... rollo

3. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definately 2 trophy class fisheries

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i haven't fished the musk,but i will tell ya that the scioto gets little to no pressure, but like any fishery it does have its hot spots,the mighty scioto is one of my top choices for big flats, i love fishing it:wink: live gills and white gold fish are my bait of choice.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I imagine closer to the ohio better it gets one thing also on the scioto river very few low dams also helps this fishery as well i guess circleville south the fishing is excellent

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know about the closer to the OR the better on the Muskingum.I think it holds some pretty significant sized catfish all thru it.I don't know about up by Coshocton though????:confused2:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    From what I've seen and read, the Scioto produces larger than Mighty Muskingum.

I will fish the Mighty Muskingum in the next 2 years!

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know about that.I think its pretty even

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    honestly less fishing pressure is key scioto even in downtown Columbus scioto is very impressive the river only gets larger south of columbus food for thought rick

10. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the scioto often it holds good fish if you can get to them (jet boat) I have been to the muskingum once,I would say each have thier own charicteristics, one thing though you won't see any skiing one the scioto from greenlawn south to the ohio.