Scioto River

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by gportsbaseball, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    hey ill probably be hitting up the scioto river this weekend for some catfish! 1 problem though, i dont have really much experience there. Whats every1's biggest catfish out of the scioto? how do YOU fish it? and what bait?

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I USUALLY FISH THE SCIOTO QUITE A BIT BUT HAVE NOT THIS YEAR. I FISH IT WITH LIVE BLUEGILLS FOR BAIT . 8 CIRCLES FOR HOOKS AND USUALLY SIX OUNCE SINKERS TO HOLD IT DOWN. IF POSSIBLE I FISH THE TOP OF A DEEP HOLE WITH LOTS OF COVER ,RIGHT WHERE IT BREAKS INTO A SHALLOW RIFFLE. OF COURSE THAT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO FIND WHERE YOU ARE FISHING, BUT COVER AND DEEP WATER WILL BE WHERE YOU WILL FIND FLATS RESTING AND SHALLOWS ON THE EDGES OF THESE HOLES ARE WHERE THEY WILL BE FEEDING. OF COURSE THE KING OF THE SCIOTO WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION AND HE HAS HIS PROOF ON HIS AVATAR,RIGHT FLATHUNTER.:smile2:

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great spots under the 762 bridge and down by 22 in Circleville. Pleanty of Bank spots in both areas.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to fish where they are biting:smile2:

I use fresh cut bait, fish in the daytime and try to find deep water, usually 5-8oz sinkers and 8/0 circle hooks...And I release all of them...you will probably have to come south a bit from where you live to get on bigger fish.

Dont let hilljack fool ya, he is daking!

5. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks ill try out the weight and hook size!

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck brother, hope you catch a ton of em!!

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hey good luck an hope you have a great time.

8. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks, im gunna check out some bank spots tommorrow during the day and then fish it during the night if the rains not too bad. then again saturday night(weather pending)

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the scioto quite abit. I use cut bait in the day time and live and cut at dark. The biggest fish was a couple years ago at 40lbs. I catch lots of channels in the 5 to 10 pound range all the time. You just gotta go where they are.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good luck this weekend

11. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Good luck Justin. Hope you hook into some nice fish.:cool2:

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Wish you the best. Full moon out this weekend I may sit this one out dunno yet.

13. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Depending on where you live. I feel the southern end of the river is better for larger catfish. I have done well down by Piketon DOE. But I wouldn't eat the fish!!

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I see that you are from Groveport so you may want to try the Circleville area since gas is so cheap these days!! There is a good access spot in Circleville Where SR 22 crosses the river going west out of town. You can bank fish or launch a boat if its a smaller one or its got a jet drive. But be careful of the old bridge piling downstream.

15. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    yeah the circleville area shad man is talking about is pretty good

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hope the fishing went well for you, there are great opportunities all along this section of the river!!