Scioto river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Hoopie, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How many guys here fish the Scioto often? I fish around the Circleville area quite often. We went out this morning for a couple hours and caught 4 biggest being 9 pounds.The water was up and muddy. A couple fish had scratches on them,from spawning I think? Any other reports for this are? I have seen an increase in the amount of boaters at the 22 ramp. Surely there are other members here that fish there. Thanks for the replies

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ask Flathunter thats where he goes all the time.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The Scioto around Chillicothe was my home fishing grounds until I joined the ARmy. I still hit it a couple of times a year and catch some nice fish. I recommend putting in at the park annex and going down river.

4. OHriverRat

OHriverRat New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Im down there almost every weekend. Man fishin been tuuf 2 shovleheads so far. Hooked a good one 2 weeks ago but couildnt get em out of the snag.:crazy:

5. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    I fish the scioto pretty hard during the summer....but I fish further south (between piketon and lucasville) Catch some real nice fish every year!

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Doug are you in the circleville area fishing? If so I will keep an eye out for ya maybe we could meet up, I only live about 2 minutes from the boat ramps.

7. Mr. Whisker77

Mr. Whisker77 New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    We went down there this morning and only got a couple of eating-size ones on chicken livers. I had a big carp on (saw it surface) but it bend my hook and got off. slow for cats lately

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its the "slow" time of year. I am surprised however with the weather the way it has been, that the bite is off. Just your normal spawn activity I would say.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Probably gonna be slow for the next several weeks, lets hope we dont get more heavt rains to ruin the fall fishing.

10. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mr. Whisker I hope you are not "EATING" them.:crazy: Thats probably not a good idea.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I release all my scioto catfish right back into the scioto, because i want the chance to catch them agin.

But if I was gonna eat catfish I certainly would not eat the out of the scioto.

The scioto holds tons of sewage from columbus and all the towns along the river...plus the prisons north of chillicothe dump alot of crud in there.

12. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    I PROBABLY WOULD OF EATEN CATFISH OUT OF THE SCIOTO ABOUT 150-200 YEARS AGO.NO WAY NOW.IVE SEEN ABOUT EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE FLOATING DOWN THE RIVER.WHEN THE RIVER GETS TO HIGH IT BYPASSES THE TREATMENT PLANT.MR YUK SAYS NO!!!!

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went out last nite had 7 runs landed 2 a 20 and 3. Only fished for about 5 hours they seem to be hitting good. The big one was caught on a bluegill head, the small one on a live gill almost as big as it was.lol

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    there is nothing wrong with your eyes glowing,lol

yeah,better head to a local lake and catch some eaters,to be safe.

gonna have to hook up with some of you scioto river guys to get a hold of a couple flats in there

15. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    everyone i know thinks im an idot for only using the head, im glad i found another believer in the power of the bluegill head

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use bluegill heads a lot also,they are very good bait.

17. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think most "bait" fish heads are great bait, because they contain the most blood and thats what the catfish love. fillet that thing out so that you have the head and the gut sack and you are in real business

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well....... the river is cruisin now so fishin this weekend is out.Looks like I'll be stocking up on bait for the all nighter July 4th weekend. If any one wants to head out sat. nite 7/5 give me a shout.

19. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Keep us updated on the Scioto river fishing. I am always interested in stories from home

20. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    Fishing in the scioto is picking up, time to get out there. Been fishing the past 3 weeks and fishing is getting better every few days. I went a few nights ago and landed 3 flatties and 2 channels, 2 of the flatties were over 15lbs (16lb, and 23lb)...Both fresh of the spawn...Most are coming off or already off....Get out there!