Scioto river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive heard about the flatheads and channels caught on the scioto river and I live about 60 miles north of the columbus area, does anyone know if i can fish in my area and catch the big flatheads? or will I have to drive south towards columbus to catch the big ones?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    From what I hear most of the flatheads are south of Columbus.

But, you do have some nice water up north. Welcome to the BOC.

3. Netman123

Netman123 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear some people catching the big ones down around Portsmouth. You might want to give it a try in a month.

4. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My son and I have been fishing south of 270 and have caught about 10-15 flatheads. 32 and a couple of 20 pounders are the biggest we have caught so far.
    I have looked at some of the river north of Columbus around Marion. There are a lot of log jams; I would think there would be some flatties in there.

Good luck

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brit, you don't have to go south for big flathead's if you live close to the Scioto River, They are in that whole system. South doesn't necessarily mean bigger fish. And you don't have to fish the biggest rivers to get them either. Do your home work here on the site and you will learn where they like to live. Most waters in Ohio have a population of Flatheads. I haven't found any in the Mohican river yet, but I'm not giving up! lol There has to be one in it some where, it connects to the Ohio River. There are Flats in the Kokosing and Killbuck Creek and they are both in the north central area as are Knox lake, Pleasant Hill and Charles Mill Just to name a few, all have Flats. You have to hunt them down and don't expect to get a big one every time out. Good fish'n bro.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats good info. there are flats in about all of our rivers and streams, you just have to do your homework, and fish various stretches of water in them systems. they are there you just have to find them. :wink: