Scioto River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Hoopie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went out last night, this one is in the 13 15 lb range. He took my largest warmouth bluegill it was 7 inches long. Also caught a channel in the 5 lb range. They were hitting good I missed six nice runs, I really need to master the circle hook. Three of them were hauling the mail but I couldn't hook up. When using circle hooks do you let them hook themselves?

Attached Files:

2. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes.Apply a little presssure on the rod wait til the rod bends way down then start reelin.I don't use clickers when usin circles either.But I'm still in the learning process too

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Ditch those circles unless you are drifting and have rod holders. Bout all they are good for. Go back to the J-Hook and start catching fish lol.

4. Djtrikee

Djtrikee New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where on the Scioto is there flatheads? I want to go out Monday Night. Any areas in columbus hitting good?

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    South of 270!! The farther south the better.

6. Djtrikee

Djtrikee New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can you catch flathead in the morning?

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congrats Chris on your Flat and Channel...

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the nice fish Chris!

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i don't have a hard time with circles, i use my clicker with them, by the time ur clicker goes off and you get ur rod all u have to do is a SMOOTH upward swep, no need to jerk ur pole and run south, just make sure u try and keep ur slack line up. i think there good when them cats just take it in a lil and swim away. its all up to the person i think.i also think they almost set there selves

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I use circle hooks with a clicker what I do is wait for a run then I just turn the handle one click to take it out of free spool then watch for the rod to load up and start to reel in. If you HAVE to do a hook set do it after you have been reeling in for at least 10 seconds or so, at that point you can do a hook set and you shouldn't lose the fish. If you jerk even a little when you get the run it seems to pull a circle right out. If you just pick up the rod and start to reel in you will catch them the majority of the time. I have seen a lot of people that can't break the habit of the hook set and always jerk everytime they get a bite.

11. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Nice fish Chris. We're heading out for flatheads for the first time this weekend. Hope to get a few good fish to start the year off right. Best of luck to you!

12. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice fish Chris! And nice talking to you that night. Awesome boat too.

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Bro that boat makes it pretty sweet to run the river since there are so many shallow spots.

14. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We were talking about your boat when you pulled out last nite, and how you must know the river pretty well to run it there... tell ya what, tho - if nothing else, it SOUNDS kick-ass! I can't believe how much you told me you had in it...

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You know as hard is it is for me to do i am going to be making the change from circle's to J's this summer. I use them in the winter time when those blues are biting real aggresive. But I gotta say I have always felt better with J's for flatheads. They just dont really bend the rod over like the blues do, and even the blues seem to be biting "light"..I haven't given up on the circles, but I am gonna let them rest till the winter or fall atleast..

16. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im glad to hear they are hitting down on the scioto...we are wanting to go to scioto in delaware...kinda far north i know but heck well giver a try...but yeah you just need to click off ur runner or close the bail and hold on....if he is running he will get hooked...I personally am going to not use them this year....i used em all last year and i think i missed more fish than i caught...maybe this was user error but we will see...good luck!

17. Djtrikee

Djtrikee New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just down there on scioto south of greenlawn, over near 762. Didnt catch anything had a couple of hits, but used live and cut bait..worms...chicken liver. I am going to try farther south in next couple days

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are bank fishing you are gonna need to hike to the "good" spots.Those bridges are fished heavily because of the easy access. One good spot down there is north of 762 at the powerplant but it is a haul on foot. Try downtown north of Greenlawn Ave. at the lowhead dam there, seen pictures of some nice ones that came from there at r&r sports on front st. There are a few good spots south of 270 bridge too but it is a haul on foot also. Good luck.

19. Chris Nelson

Chris Nelson New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio,
    I flathead fish all along 270 and this year so far has just broke my heart. All the honey holes I have known as a kid just don't hit like they use to. I have went to new areas and its just not the same. My question is Griggs Dam is a new area I have been looking at. I know the big Heads have to be in here,but where?

20. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm hoping to get after some big Scioto flatties in the next week or so. Never fished it before but its larger size and lack of dams has me interested. I've been doing my research but haven't decided what section to try first. I've heard alot of locals trotline and limb-line heavily but thats not stopping me from trying. Gonna be covering water with the trolling motor and will hopefully find plenty of spots to set up on.