Scioto River channel catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by misterwhisker, Jun 22, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Fished the mighty scioto this past weekend, we started about noon sat. with some lite tackle channel cat action, it was a blast fishing with 6 ft rods and 10 lb test, man those small cats are a lot of fun against the current on lite tackle, we caught about 30 cats biggest being a 7 lb whopper....At about 6 o'clock we set up for some flathead action, We didn't do as good for flats like we did channels but we did manage to catch a few, biggest came in at 18 lbs and a channel at 10 lbs...
    Sunday morning was no different with the lite tackle cats we absolutely slammed them channel cats, I dont know how many we caught I would guess about 40, a dozen or so being in the 4 to 7lb range...Takin the boys next time so they too can enjoy some non stop action :cool2:

2. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Thanks for the story man, I got the chance to fish the Scioto this year with a friend of nine from Chillicothe this year and can confirm those numbers are obtainable. I had the time of my life fishing the first and second week of May down there. I was impressed by the number of fish we caught both Flatheads and Channels, the biggest so far being a 47.5 lbr and some of the holes we found I know there are alot bigger than that in there.. Found one Flat carcass that a turtle was munching on that was in the sixties. You have a nice river down there.:roll_eyes: (Not sure how that big one died though)

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Misterwhisker sounds like a great outing. What was the bait of choice?

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Paul you sure had a real good fish outing. That river does hold some pretty nice cats for sure. Been 3 years since I been fishing it but I'm heading that way this weekend with my brother.

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    DOC'S :wink:

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is that a homemade or commercial dip bait? I have never heard of it.

7. dbtrail400

dbtrail400 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great story, big fishing with small stuff is always a blast. Its amazing how strong these fish are.