scioto river 9-3

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fished the scioto this evening, didn't prepare too much couldn't catch any gills but was just glad to be out, had a real nice bite right under a bridge but my circle hook must not have caught the fish right, oh well. still had a blast despite the river being extremely low, which seems to really effect the fishing in my neck of the scioto (hardin county).

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I just got home from the Scioto. Just south of Franklin Co. Played around with another damn turtle(TKO!), but decided to let him eat, in hopes of hooking into him. Didn't happen, but when I checked the bait, all he had done was eat the loose inside stuff...no white meat at all.

So I threw it back out. At 9:15 I landed a 8.5lber on that same gill head. Began using live(gills) on both. Nothing at all for nearly 2 hours. Around 11, I decided to cut the head off of 1 of the gills. 5 mins later I hooked and landed a 11.5lber. Went to heads only for remainder. Got real busy between 11:30 to 12:30. Plenty of runs, but everytime I tried to set the hook, I could feel it pull right out of the mouth. I don't think they were taking it all.

Had a good time though.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Colsrob it sounds like an exciting night on the river! If you were setting the hook on those circle hooks, then that cost you some fish:sad2:

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I tried circles briefly, didn't care for them much. I just use plain ole Gama Octo's.

I'm affraid to let them run too much. My first night in my current spot, I hooked into a real big one. Hooked him great, but I couldn't stop him fast enough. He headed straight into the debris pile that i'm near. I could feel him pulling, but he wasn't about to let me pull him free. Ended up breaking off. It's just a timing thing.:big_smile: