Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Brett2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

In Southeastern PA, does anyone fish it?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Brett,

It's me Tan, this is a cool site!!! All I need to know on this site. Can't wait to hit the SKUKE!!!!

peace:)

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    never fished it but it is rumored to be a good river and there are flattheads on it now!

4. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    fish it around reading, do very well

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Delawareriver,

Yes, there are plenty of flatheads in the schuykill river!!! fish any dam a night with bluegills. What's great is that not many fish for them or even know how to fish for them. I can show you a few things:)

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Soon, the Schuykill flatheads will awaken. Can't WAIT

7. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Hey Tan! i just saw this post.
    I was out tonight fishing for 2 hours with minnows, no flatheads, but a 22 inch channel. I fished at the base of a railroad trestle (bridge), but maybe the dam would have been better. The water was 62 degrees. Just glad to see any catfish hit, also a lot of fish were jumpin.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Brett,

When the river goes down by next week, the flatheads should be ON!!!!! Keep me posted with your reports.

tan

9. Catsfurducks

Catsfurducks New Member

Blacky, I noticed you posted a comment on another thread about the new state record coming from the Skyukill River. I agree in time it very well may be possible. Don't know if you've ever fished any of the western rivers but it is a whole nother ball game. Those fish are sharks, I mean people catch 20 and 30 pounders with regularity. That hasn't happened yet on the Skuykill. Given enough time we will see that. For now I'm trying to break 20 pounds on the Skuk. Has anyone done that yet? I'm not talking about word of mouth I want an official weight, from a person who witnessed it. None of this "my buddy caught a 25 pounder, but I wasn't there" or "I caught a 20 pounder but I didn't weigh it" I've heard alot of that. No offical eyewitness accounts though.

Has anyone taken a temp of the river? I don't live as close as I once did so I can't take water temperatures regularly, it shouldn't be too long until the water is right and the big boys put the feed bags on.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is catching bait, I prefer rock bass and they haven't started feeding yet either. Guess I'll have to hit some farm ponds, water will be warmer and the gills will be biting. I can settle for my second best bait.

Let me know how the conditions are on the river. As soon as bait is in the bucket I'll be trying to rip the lips of some pre spawn flatties.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    cats,

my friend got a 23lb last summer.

11. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

My biggest is 16-17 lb and have caught a few that size, but plan on breaking at least 20 lb this year. Lost one over a dam that i would estimate to be 20 lbs. I can't wait until they get huge, though I bet there are some 30 lbs or more in there. The water temperature is now 59-60 degrees.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Brett,

Prespawn should be SOON!!!!!

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Got my PA personal best Flathead on sunday night. It was a 28lb 30z. Caught on a nose hooked bluegill. Quick but bulldog fight.

14. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

That is awesome! Good job... I can't wait to start catching them, and am DEFINITELY going for flatheads over this memorial day weekend possibly out in the boat too.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Brett,

Today, guided Louis from fishguys to his first flatty.

16. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

That's good to hear! We took a class trip to Maggiano's and the Reading Terminal and we went over a bridge or too over the river and I wanted to fish so bad haha.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Philly Flatasaurus caught in the city limits of Philadelphia

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Place: Schuylkill River

Time: (;24 PM

Bait: sucker

Weight: 28lbs 3 os

My buddy caught one 37 lbs, so Brett and the rest of you SKUKEHEADS, they in there!!!!! And they a BIG!!!!! Go get em' guys!!!!!!!!!

19. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

GGGGGGGGreat fish!

20. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    wow now i wanna get down there and try my luck