Schuylkill River At Hamburg

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Spider, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Was heading with wife to Cabela's yesterday to walk around a little and check out the aquarium fish so I remember what they look like :eek:oooh:
    Anyway, on the way I saw that all the bush was cleared out near the bridge over the river. Maybe for the bridge work soon. I'm wondering if it's worth trying out this spot. I know the water runs from shallow to at least 4 or 5 feet (maybe more) at the bridge pillars. Generally, is it a good place to fish with a bait at the slack behind the pillar (downstream side)? There's some slower water on the opposite side of the river upstream with a small inlet but you literally can't get to it, it's like a rain forest with growth. where they cleared out is a super simple access and that's just been done over the last week or two. Nobody fishes there or at least very few. Maybe some kids now and then but I've never seen anyone. bad part is that you are on the fast side of the river and you'd be casting across the current. wondering if this might be a possible channel cat area. I've no heard of any flats up this way yet but i suppose you never know.
    here's a pic ( from BING MAPS) of the area. Most of the water isn't all that deep generally. Now it's a little more since the river is still a little high.

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    never know till ya try,I say fire a small live sunny out there and a sunny head on your other rod and wait and see:0a26:

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Took a closer look toady at this location. Behind the bridge pillars (downstrem) does not appear more than a few feet deep. The area between the pillars looks deeper. I know on the upstream far side, the water will be at least 4 to 5 feet deep as you get closer to the bridge. A long time ago I waded this area messing around with smallies and stopped when the water reached my waist. I may give this area a try, it's only 2 blocks from my house. It's not what I'd think is a prime spot though. There aren't very many places that might be ggod that you can get to without going on an expidition through very dense brush and posion ivy ( I try to avoid ivy like a plauge!).

Attached Files:

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    larry, ya ever fish a half mile up above the kernsville dam where the kids jump off the cliffs, thats got some depth?

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    No I've been up in that area since a kid but I never fished above the dam. I look at the dam as a blockade for a lot of coal country contamination.
    There are a few places I'd love to fish in the Shoemakersville / Lessport are but the only way to reach them would be by canoe. I remember several areas that looked like they would be great fishing, from when I used to cane the river. At that time all wee did was some light fishing for smallies while going down the river. I always wondered what it's like from Cross Keys down to where the Felix Dam used to be. The water was a lot deeper before that dam broke but still has to have some pretty deep areas. I've never been down in that area at the river so I don't even know how to access it, or if you can.
    My casting arm is coming along and I'm hoping that in the next few weeks I'll be able to out a actually do some fishing! I hope anyway.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    You can try at the boat ramp at the old boat works my wife hooked into a nice channel cat there already.

7. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    You could access that area from the Cross Keys bridge. You could drive down to the river,it was a fire lane.Now you have to walk down. My bud had a 12ft. john boat we put in the back of his pick-up and put it in there. Some nice hole and some rapids. Comes to a small island and then a railroad bridge.Then it got wide and shallow for about 100 yds. and then it was great from there down to the falls about 2 miles.The fire trail went all the way down to what was a coal mine.It also went to Peacock kennels. Caught MANY channels from there before the break and not many since.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Makes we wonder if any flats will make it up this way? I have no idea if there are any barriers that would prevent them from moving upstream from the Blackrock area. It would be really cool if flats were up this way. I've fished a lot below the Kernsville dam and caught a lot of fish but not very many cats. I've used all kinds of bait and lures, bottom and float fished. That is real close for me and I wish I could figure it out. You'd think the fishing would be great below the falls but it's real hit and miss. I want to try he little lagoon type area downstream off the main channel. Last time I was over (last week) to check it out, the area to access it was still under water. As the river level drops there is a nice looking location. Not very much room but might be a good area to try. It gets fished but not like the falls do. I'd guess you need a gallon of bug spray too down there. Ticks are a big problem around the river too.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

10. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use to fish that with my dad about 10 years ago and use to catch HUGE carp... Everytime i tried to go after there was always a huge party of mexicans there so i just left.. We should try it some night..

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I lost a $150 rig there the other summer. Ended up getting it back. The fish went downstream and the rod got hubg up. A guy wading caught his leg on the line and picked it up. Said there was one of those "huge" carp on the end and stuck in shallow rapids. He cut the line then followed the line back upstream. He came around the corner where I was and said he thought he found my rod. After awhile of tugging in waist deep water he pulled in my rod. Reel handle was bent and rod tip screwed up. Rod was junk but the reel is still in use. ABU reels are tuff, not even any scratches on it.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    You guys have my interest peaked. Please keep us posted if you go.

13. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    HAHA i lost a rod there before to what i think was a nice carp on dough bait.. Actually if you park at the port clinton railroad station and walk down by bridge you can chest wade that up to the 61 bridge by the peace rock, it gets REALLY REALLY GOOD.. Great for trout,bass,carp and muskie.. I catch more bass then anything there.. Gets very deep and very fast at spots.. But its deff fun to fish.. Let me know if you wanna go out some mourning up there.. Im sure the deep pool under the station bridge is GREAT for cats..

14. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    20 of my friends are camping there tonight,they keep calling me wondering where i am.Thanks for the heads up about the mexicans.Are you evan allowed to camp there over night? i'v never been there.A couple of the guys will be cat fishing with livers.i'll let you know how they make out.

15. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Camping above or below the Kernsville Dam? I'm not sure but as long as nobody says anything, who cares? I know the posted signs at the one path to below the falls saying "No Fires". That had to have gone up in the last couple weeks because it wasn't there when I was over about 6 or 7 weeks ago.
    I'll be interested to hear how they made out. Thanks for the post.

16. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    peace rock, they caught 4 cannels last night on liver, 12 inches and under and 6 smallmouth this morning

17. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I stay away from that location. TOO many strange people hang out there.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    hey i've fished there before:eek:oooh::smile2:

19. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    lol, if i carried what you do i'd fish anywhere and everywhere

20. Spider

Spider New Member