Schuykill River Hot Spots

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by BeastReleaser, Aug 14, 2007.

1. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    I'm somewhat new to BIG CAT fishing but have already aquired some favorite hot spots along the schuykill. I mainly fish the stretch of water between Phoenixville and Manyunk although i have yet to get all the places I've targeted on Google Earth. Just seeing if anyone else fishes similiar streches (philly area more or less) and if so... where do you park? with all of the spots i've found so far parking without fear of a tow or ticket seems to be the hardest part (though if the fishing is good enough i'll usually find a way ;) ). Anyway if you want to shoot the breeze about it please post.

ps --- If you would like to contact me privately about one of your or my spots that is fine but i am not above posting locations.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the Boc beastreleaser lets hope people start posting about some locations.... keeping my fingers crossed Come on guys :surrender: surrender those sweet spots and yes i know its Taboo to ask....lol.....

3. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    just to clarify....

i wasnt expecting any gps points or other exact holes. i would be happy just to know good parking areas. general stretches and other commonalities. i dont expect to be taken by the hand to any monsters. part of the fun is exploring water. its good exercise too. lord knows i could use it.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
  5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Parking is not an issue for me, just don't leave anything valuable in your car.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    This is exactly why i stopped going to my "sweet spot" about 4 years back. Was fishing there and one of the regulars had this bewildering look to him. He asked arent you the one that owns that little black car(immediately i knew something was wrong) then he proceeded to tell me. Your window is busted your trunk and door are open. They stole my radio speakers and other personal belongings. As a matter of fact i had "retired" from fishing after that incident happened for almost 2 years.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I hear ya, Angel! I've have my car window busted 3 times in the last 4 years. It's a hard price you gotta pay fishing the urban waters of a heavily popoulated minority city. That's why I plan on moving to the suburbs when I settle down.

When I say "things of value", I mean anything that they can sell.

Be careful guys!

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Oh they are thieves everywhere blacky less likely in the suburbs but it still happens. They see someone heading out with all that fishing equipment and figure hey this guy wont be around his car anytime soon. It sucks thats why im scared to go to those secluded spots with out the car in near site or at least in the vicinity of heavy traffic. We kinda of got of the subject a little sorry guys.

9. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    with my truck i have had 3 stereos stolen since high school. And when i say stereos i mean nice ones.. subs amps speakers headunits everything. I never go anywhere without my alarm now. For around 200 bucks you can get a very comprehensive yet simple one from BLACK WIDOW securities. The peace of mind it gives me is well worth it. I know even if they get the stereo they wont get the truck. I highly recommend it.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree Beastreleaser I did have an alarm and I did have a pricey head unit and sub amp stolen that day. But the problem is when you are 5 or 600 yards away fishing you cant hear it.:angry: I even hid the face plate in the car and they still found it. Even if you have one of those newer alarms that page the remote you still maybe out of range. Then its a pain to have to walk back to your car only to find it was a false alarm. Best bet is to stick with the factory radio leave nothing in site as blacky mentioned. Try to leave when no one else is around you. If they see that you are leaving you car with all that equipment they will just say hey this guy wont be around for a while and thats when they strike.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    To be honest guys, there's not really any hotspots here on the Schuylkill. I fish many publicly acessible spots all along the river from Black Rock Dam all the way to Fairmount Dam.

The most important things you must consider is structure and bottom. If the bottom is muddy and weedy, YOU DO NOT WANT TO FISH THERE! If it is san, gravel, and hard bottom, try there. Look for thngs that a flathead can hide in or under like a undercut bank, dock, bridge, and logjam.

90% of that river is unfished. The other 10% is pressured. My advice is to EXPLORE, SCOUT, and SEEK favorable sections of the river which holds structure, current, and depth.

The Valley Forge section of the river is like virgin territory for flatheads. You cannot fish there at night becasue the park closes at 9PM. If you are in a boat, the gate closes at 9PM also which means if you out on the river, you are forced to stay out there until 7AM when the park ranger comes and opens up the gates back up again. I don't have a boat so I can't pull it off.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We should also have a little get together sometimes with all you guys in SE PA. September would be a great time. Flatheads will begin to feed heavily.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was just thinking the same thing Blacky. I know you must have some good "publicly accessible" locations. Maybe we should have a get together sometime. I only have caught a handful of flatties most other been channels and or bullheads.

14. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    it sounds good to me guys. Is the fall hotter for fatty flatties or all cats for that matter? I still dont have my seasonal knowledge down yet for them. I guess they fatten up for winter? Does anyone know of any skuke depth charts. I have been looking for a few weeks and have come up empty so far.

15. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    That also sounds good to me.I am from Reading and have always wanted to fish that part of the river.Could never get anybody to go.Pick a date and time.

16. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Alright fellas let's not just talk about a get together,Lets make it happen. Angel I still have your #, and Tan I have yours also. Whayt ever date you guys want to set I am down for it. :big_smile_2::0a23:

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Let's aim for a friday night in mid september.

18. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a24:I'm with that time frame. Blacky you are the Phillyflatmaster so you can provide a decent spot.:cross: My poles are ready.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey Greg whats up. Came back from deep sea fishing for blues. Came back Saturday morning at 6am from the charter boat. I pretty much just slept in. Man I forgot how strong these guys fight it amazes me every time I catch one. Its been about 4 years since I last went. They have to be the strongest fighters pound for pound of course next to our catfish:wink: My arms are still sore from the whole experience. I am down to go weekends or any day after 6pm will work for me.

20. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Friday mid sept. sounds good here too.