Schuykill River Advice

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Scott LEmons, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    I am new to the area (last year)... I have fished a few of the local lakes, but I have been looking along the Skuke for a place to fish from shore. I have seen a couple place behind where the condos burned down last year and another spot a further north toward the bridge on the other side toward the little park.

I know a bunch of you guys fish the skuke so any advice would be greatly appreciated... am i even looking in the right area or just wasting time.

Thanks for the help....

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I fish in Exeter in Berks county a few bank spots around that area I had luck with Good Luck:wink:

3. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I fish the Schuylkill from Reading north.
    Good fishin fella.

Wet

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Scott---welcome to the BOC. I am not sure of the areas where you are talking about, but I fish the Skuke anywhere I can find both parking and bank space from the waterworks in Philly upstream to Conshy and a bit further up.

Good luck :cool2:

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Where ever you can find structure or deep water. I would start there.

6. Welcome to the area! I cover the Norristown/Valley Forge area if ya need any info.

7. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey... Thanks for all the replys. I just moved to the area last year, started exploring diffrent places last year with my son.

The only experience I had with Skuke was near Lafyette Bridge 9ithink that's what is called) anyway... I didn't catch much, but i don't think i was prepared very well.

Light line and not enough sinker to stay on the bottom. i tried tying a few casting sinkers but they seemed to hang up on everything. I am planning to get set up and give it a try in the next couple weeks... my son is itching to get out.
    NT if your out that way give me a shout... I live close by and always looking to fishing.

8. There are plenty of spots to access the river in this area. I assume you are talking about the Fayette St. bridge in Conshy? Yes, very swift water there right now. There is a creekmouth upstream from that bridge below the dam that holds fish sometimes. Low water in the summer time offers very good fishing around that area but wading will get you better results. If travel up the way up route 23 into Bridgeport to the Ice cream parlor next to the small bridge, you can go back in there and fish below and above the dam. Below the dam in the summer out around the islands is very excellent bass/catfish action if you wade around out there. The catfish hide in the deep areas in front of the dam and along deep spots along the banks here and there. My step son and I waded under the bridge and he casted a rapala and caught a nice channel cat! Check it out this year.

9. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    NT,

Thanks for the tip... we will give that a try. The Fayette bridge is where i was talking about, I have walked the shore line up river to the first little dam are, pretty steep hills down to the river in that area.

How far up 23 is that ice cream shop your talking about, I travel up that way to french creek Outfitters quite a bit. I have been past FCO not to far up on the right is a small park on the right hand side of the road, have you fished up that far?

I also checked out the locke that is in phoniexville (I think thats the name of the town) it seemed like a lot of kids going back thee to just jump off the dam. But before you get that far back to the parking lot i did see a couple area where people were putting in Kayaks and a few people fishing in the otherside in the canal strip.

10. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Has anybody ever fished the area around the docks along river rd in Conshy?

11. It's the next town you come to after Conshy. When you come into town(Bridgeport), turn right at the police station/wawa(I think that is Mill St.). Cross the tracks and Turn left at you 2nd stop sign onto Front St. Follow to the light. The parking arrea is to the right and across the intersection. Pull in there and there is parking all along the river.

Phoenixville locks area ia also good on the river side. They have Catfish tourneys up at the dam there. My dad caught a 42" Musky there. I took the kids for a walk up there and up at the last side dam of the canal there were two dudes catchin panfish left and right at the base of the dam in DECEMBER!. I couldn't believe it my self.I don't have much luck in the canal itself, though I did catch a nice Crappie at the base of the Lock doors on a minnow.

The park past FCO is called Towpath park I believe. I put my boat in there once and fished it. It was pretty good. Just lots of pools and runs to drag the boat thru. It was nice though.

12. You mean on the Conshy side of the river? I know a lot of that is private property. But I also know the fishing is pretty good in that stretch too. That is another area they hold Catty tournaments every year.