Schools of catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last night was going to be my last night fishing trip at Osbourn Boat landing for awhile. I arrived there around 9:30 to set up and get ready for the tide to roll in. My spot on the pier was open, some guys there gave me some bait they caught in the cast net they just bought. (They lost one a couple weeks ago...same place) After about an hour of solo fishing a couple partying rolled up, beer in hand, not there to fish. Later the guy goes..."look at all these fish" It was under the lamp on the pier. I was yeah those little fish are there all the time. No not this time huge schools of catfish, large catfish. Like schools of minnows you see. I couldn't imagine ever seeing anything like this. I put my line in...slam pulled up at least a 3lbr, next a 5lbr. I gave them to the couple. After that no bites, they all just swam by the bait snubbing us.
    They do swim in schools just like minnows, even at a large size. I must have seen hundreds of them at least 4-5 feet thick swimming by the light.
    Still the 2 I caught I consider cheating fishing, I had no satisfaction other than the surprise on the couples faces.....

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spoke to a biologist at V.I.M.S. a few years ago and he told me that our blue cat was the only specie of catfish in the world that was a true schooling fish like a sardine and some of the other salt water fish. Imagine that!:eek:oooh:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I was in Ohio last month, we visited a wild life safari pak. They have a lake there that has these HUGE channel cats that will come to the dock area to feed on pellets that visitors can throw to them. Im talking some big cats! I kept telling my son "if only I had my rod here!" They were just every where in a huge school.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Cool story DAllison. Not sure where I read it, but a guy posted about being on the James one evening and seeing thousands upon thousands of blue cats swimming by.

Now if I could just find where the Weight Watchers club of blue cats meets....:smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Coming in to the dock to be fed isn't really the same thing as running in schools. Any fish or animal can be trained to come when the dinner bell rings. I don't know about wintertime, but in the summer, blues seem to roam around in bunches (schools), looking for food.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Not sure how true it is, but I believe most of the species of fish travel in schools feeding on prey. I know for a fact in some of the lakes I fish that catfish will swim below the wipers feeding on shad. The wipers will hit and kill the shad and whatever shad that falls to the bottom, the catfish have easy picking. They're not dumb by no means!!:wink:

7. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    very interesting info! I have a frind who talks about a private lake stocked with striper and the owner walks up and smacks a paddle on the pier and buches of 10-12lb striper come to the surface to feed on what he brings them! I wouldn,t call that schooling either. More of a gathering at the feeding place!!:smile2:

8. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    The schooling nature of Blue Cats is what drew me into fishing for these giants. It's not un commmon to have multiple hook-ups of fish over 30 and 40#.

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for an outstanding thread. This is truly interesting reading that I hope gathers attention from the membership at large here at Catfish1.com! :cool2:

10. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Bruce (redcat) and I were out the other night and saw this awesome sight. It was schools of 200-300 2 to 5lb catfish feeding top water... First time ever seen this happen. We went above them and drifted into them and they didn't ever care we were there... They were all around us, as if we wern't there. It was amazing to see this.. Here some pics I took.. These pics were taking on the james river.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you for Sharing! I have stopped and BS'ed with the commercial catfisherman several times. The hard working man that fishes out of the big Sea Ox fiberglass boat. I have seen him raise one of his traps twice. What a sight. Slam full of 1-2 pound cats, hundreds of them. They would have to go around in schools to catch that many at one setting. I'll say it again. Greenlee one of the fish biologist for the State of Virginia says Blue Cats are the only true schooling catfish in the world. In the winter when what baitfish is around is concentrated in different holes. You can hammer the small eaters during this time. I always fish 6 big rods for citation fish and two little rods for the eaters so I can have some action when I can't seem to get on the big ones.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hm, And I was told channel cats do also.......