School uniform's...YES!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gator, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The stature and status of public education in our nation as a whole, continues the competitive struggle to earn even a passing grade. Some recent examples. An Oliver North article last week reported that in a recent global geography survey of 18-24 year old Americans, 29-percent could not correctly identify the Pacific Ocean, and, unbelievably, 11-percent failed to locate the United States. And these were Americans! Oh, and let our successful dumbing-down continue. A recent McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum study revealed that twice as many Americans can name two “Simpsons” characters, as can name two First Amendment freedoms. And if you’re ready for this, and, trust me, you aren’t, one in five Americans, 20-percent of those surveyed, believes that our First Amendment guarantees the right to drive a car. However, the First Amendment does preserve for all citizens the right to grow corn in your basement and to remain incredibly stupid, the latter right, obviously held sacred, by a growing number of Americans. After considerable study and wide-ranging input, our school board recently approved the recommendation to make school uniforms mandatory in all district elementary and middle schools this fall, and in all local high schools at the start of the following academic year.
    Numerous positives support the move to uniform clothing in school. For starters, it makes it easier to see who doesn’t belong there, and tougher to hide weapons, reason alone to mandate uniforms in this irrational anger-driven, wacko-prone world of today. Other benefits include: improved classroom discipline and behavior, fewer distractions, a sense of togetherness, and giving our teachers more time to teach, and far less time spent being “clothing police.” Objections do exist, out there, regarding uniform clothing, most centered around imaginary First Amendment infringement, including one article titled, “School Uniforms Lead To Fascism,” written apparently by someone stuck well-down the food chain. There’s a still-pertinent 1969 Supreme Court decision, dealing with protest arm-bands, not uniforms, that concluded (quote): “In the absence of …valid reasons to regulate their speech, students are entitled to freedom of expression of their views.” With all due respect to the Court’s opinion, students today have every right, and in fact are encouraged, to learn and grow by expressing themselves in school, verbally and in written form. As juveniles, generally totally dependent on parents and community for financial support and well-being, that’s more than enough Constitutional free speech protection at this stage in their young lives, thank you. Once of age, they’ll have complete freedom to succeed, fail or dress foolishly. For now, adults are paying the freight and making the rules. Students can “express” themselves in their “I-gotta-be-me” clothing, on their own time and some other place.
    With the over-all unacceptable level of student outcomes in public education, at the national, state and local level, there are significant improvements that need to be made in student effort and academic performance, and all within a safe, secure learning environment. The uniform clothing requirement for area public school students speaks directly to many of the core improvement issues, and that’s why I fully support this initiative. It’s long past time students stopped showing-off outwardly, and begin showing-up mentally. Accordingly, I feel all parents, and especially our students, should fully accept and support any uniform clothing rule. It’ll clearly help shift student focus from their looks, to their books, with a hoped-for critical payoff for our young people in both academic achievement and future success.

What do ya’ll think?

2. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    First of I do not have kids, so yes my opinions lack the experience of being a parent. I have been dating my girlfriend for 4 years and we are not ready for kids.

Sorry but I disagree with you on this. I also find it hard to beleive those figures. Obviously those people did not go to school in South Carolina, particularly in Florence. I dont feel that the problem comes from clothes at all. Its a problem based mostly on parent wanting to be their kids friends. You have to let them know you are the boss. You also have to spend time studying with your kids every day. My mom was single and raised me and my brother first as a waitress then as a pharmacist tech making next to nothing. No child support, welfare, food stamps, housing money, etc. She read to us every day before bed starting at like 6 months old.

The problem with kids education lies mostly with their parents. That being said, there are many other problems that uniforms are not going to fix. Teachers are not respected and have no authority. If a kid is not acting correctly they should be sent to detention or some other area where they can not disturb the other students. Teachers cant really do anything about bad students because each student must be given the same chance.

This is the reason that I am a strong beleiver in education being privatized.

3. Tee

Tee New Member

State:
    TN
    Those same arguments and comments were made just before the Memphis Schools went to uniforms. Now there are "authorized" stores that sell the "approved" uniforms.
    HOWEVER this year alone, the school violence rate has soared astronomically. There are "incidents" every wek on the news. Fortunately, according to the news, no one has died in a Memphis City School this week....yet.

4. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    After a recent trip to the local Bass Pro Shop which happens to be located in a river front shopping district I have to agree even more with our school board policy of uniorms. There were several "kids" with there parents that were dressed with outfits that most strippers would be emberassed to wear. To think that a responsible parent would let their children leave the house in such outfits makes me wonder who is control of the household. I am a firm believer that kids need parents to act like parents not friends. It is a shame that uniforms became manditory but to many people rely on somebody esle to disipline their kids then wonder why the kid ends up in jail, or on drugs. Just my opinion:)

5. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It can't hurt to try them. It would eliminate "colors" in gangs too. At least that was a selling item in a town not too far from here. Hard to believe that strikes close to home in the middle of the midwest.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    My wife and I agreed long before we had our son, to use private schools rather than public schools. One of the reasons is because of the discipline of the such schools, and that includes school uniforms. So far we are very happy with the education he has received, and look forward to the coming years at the school.

I also agree that in addtion to the school, the parents MUST stay involved in their children's education. Simply clothing them, and sending them off to school will not cut it today.

7. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I would have to say that I agree with you on the school uiforms issue. People having just graduated highschool less than a year ago, I know there is an EXTREMELY high rate of ignorant high school students. No offense to anyone. I think that every time a student looks down at his or her uniform, they will realize that they are not in school to dress cool or hang out with friends. They are there to learn. If we want a better America or world for that matter, we need to start with a more educated public.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have 2 sons , one in elementry (no uniforms yet at this school)

and the oldest in high school (first year they went to uniforms)

i myself would like it if they could wear what they wanted (of course within reason) , however thanks to too many kids trying to push the envelope the schools had no choice but to do what the friggin parents should have been doing.

too many gangbanger styles for boys and over revealing outfits on girls
    have caused the uniform to be neccessary.

now last year my oldest was in 8th grade at the same school my youngest still attends and they could wear jeans etc. the main thing they were not allowed to wear was anything that had alcohol drugs or guns printed on the t shirts.

paul harvey has a little saying that fits this .......................................
    self governing wont work without self disipline.

the kids had to push it just a little further and a little further till it blew up
    on them . now they want to throw a fit and point fingers.

i say too bad . i would like to see them be able to make their own choices ,but their choices just didnt cut it . so now my son and theirs
    gotta look like angus young.;)

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    And thats the rest of the story... DRC... i would agree. as a highschool student i think mostly the students (i do this sometimes) goof off and try to be cool with their friends, try to dress cool to stand out(i dont go out and buy baggy pants or anything i wear formal clothes that look decent) and try to get involved with gangs, clubs, etc... (not me) just to be noticed.. this however i feel has led to the shootings and all the other stuff. I belive that if students had to wear uniforms, students could not: dress "Better/cooler" than any of the others students. Therefore the poor wouldnt be singled out and picked on as much, i doubt there would be as many gangs and "Colors" in the gangs as someone stated before.. just my opinion... :confused:

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've got no problem with college girls wearing the Catholic uniforms

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Ya'll are going to love this one. Our kids home school.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    and they still gotta dress like angus??????:rolleyes:

i wouldnt mind mine bein home schooled but after i taught em all i knew they'd need to have brain transplants;)

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    We have them tested once a week.

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Very well put Jess!

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree.. Anymore a student=$$$. It's a problem thats been around for quite awhile. I moved to diff state when I was senior in High School. New state had diff requirements to graduate. New School proposed that I take the classes needed there, then go back home and graduate with the class I spent 3.5 years with.. Old School said NO!!! because the new school would get the money for me going to the new school for half a year so I should graduate from there....

Also the reason for sending children to school when its -12 windchill out, then dismissing after x number of hours, so the school gets paid for a full day. Its also the reason they crack down on unexcused absentee. Here, for every unexcused absentee, You grade gets lowered 1 grade, so the Most you can then acheive is a B, then a C, so on... The reason being, the school looses money your not there.. Has nothing to do with education.......

16. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    We have our kids in Gateway they are tested once a week and pick up their lesson's once a month.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I gotta disagree with wolfman.

Sorry but Parents are responsible for their children, end of story, imho. If a kid hasnt picked up a book by the time he goes to school Its The Parents not the teachers. Sorry but Johnny should know how to read a little before he gets to school. If the parents cant control their kids behavior outbursts how in the hell is a teacher going to control them??? If the parents put that child in a position to fail they fail. Should a teacher have to make 25 other students wait while they go over something that the kid should already know?
    Many teachers have to worry about alot more than just education. Violence against other students and themselves from some parents little angel. Trust me, Im not trying to take up for the public schools because they are a joke too. Parents have the most important role in their childs education. They are supposed to be the ones that have that childs best interest at heart, they have the kid alot longer than any teacher. I cant stand hearing parents whine and complain about what their kids do to them. Give em a good whupping and see how fast most turn around, but teachers cant do that can they?

Oh sorry forgot what the original post was about. I think the uniforms are a good idea though I hated it when they done it to us. It makes for a more professional environment. Lets some kids not worry about having to fit in by dressing a certain way. Lets face it, Im sure johnny will have an easier time concentrating if little susie isnt dressed up like brittany spears, at least I did.
    Unfortunately parents can not or will not pick normal clothes for their kids to wear. Too many parents want to be cool instead of a parent. Do that long enough and the schools will make their choices for them.

18. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    wolfman, i have read most of the stuff you have put on here and in general i have agreed with you 98%. the post about wolves,sheep, and sheepdogs has been kickin around in my head since you put it up. however the problem with kids in school is just a reflection of society in general.i believe there is just a lack of respect for our fellow man.alot of kids are growing up on their own, no parents at home, a single parent working their butt off, crackheads, and some people that should'nt have kids at all. the last person i would blame is the teacher, they can only work with what they have. clothes don't make the man. you can dress the kids anyway you like, i don't see that it will help the problems that under lie our school systems.
    catwacker
    not tryin' to pi$$ anybody off, just my opinion.

19. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thats one reason we home school is all the prob. in the school system not just the staff, but the environment itself. My kids have done alot better since we started home schooling.

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Humans are doomed if we don't go backwards.

When women wanted to be treated the same as men big business said ok we will just make thinks cost more so it will take two incomes to get by. This took both parents out of the home and now most people don't raise their own kids some even think the governament should help raise them. The law has given kids so many rights they now think they are in charge and many times they are.

School uniforms, Good idea, we must start getting kids under controll. They must quit thinking that being in a little click that dresses a certin way gives them power.

I know this post will upset some women but before you get mad at me remember this. I believe women have always been the more supieor sex, you are smarter than men, it has been proven that women have 30 % more connections between the 2 sides of the brain and you think more deeply than most men. Of all the the life forms in the world women can do something that no man or other animal can do. Ladies you can make Man. I know many of you know now that when you left the home it was a mistake because it was the begining of the failure of family and like I said men are not so smart because the men in big business made it impossable for you to go back to being the head of the home and the one who forms mankind for the future.

Danny